Thursday, September 27, 2012

Crushing realization

I have always imagined that someday, I would live in a warmer climate.  Maybe Florida, maybe someplace not quite as hot as Florida - possibly South Carolina.  Someplace where it hardly ever snowed!  Someplace warm all year round!

Someplace where I would have to mow the lawn ALL. YEAR. ROUND.

SCREEEEEEEEEECH.

Oh HELL no.

Here we are, at the end of September, and I have to go home and mow tonight.  And I'll have to mow a few more times after that, because mowing season in these parts doesn't end until mid to late October.

And then?  It's over.  NO MORE MOWING UNTIL APRIL.  And the angels sing.

By this time of year?  I am DONE with mowing.  I am so flippin' sick of mowing that I would gladly set the lawnmower on fire, if I didn't know that I'll have to use it again NEXT year.  And while I am no fan of winter, at least I don't have to mow the damn lawn then.

So.  It looks like I'll have to give up my dreams of a Southern old age.  *sob*  Because there is NO FREAKING WAY I'm mowing all year round.

7 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

In Florida anyway, the grass goes dormant in winter just like in other places. Not sure about the Carolinas, though.

You should look into lawn alternatives! Grass doesn't do a whole lot for the environment compared to having a garden, and especially in the South where it's so hot, having a lawn uses up tons of water just to keep the stupid stuff alive.

James P. said...

But old people don't mow their own lawns. Somebody else does. Problem solved.

~~Silk said...

Pebbles. Green cement. Rocks. Mulch. Creative landscaping. Someplace where you can't much grow grass anyway, like New Mexico or Arizona. Weeds and a sign saying "butterfly garden".

rockygrace said...

Kage and ~~Silk, those lawn alternatives are intriguing. The problem is, I have a LOT of lawn - it would be a huge undertaking to replace it with something else. And I love the FEEL of grass under my feet - I just don't like to MOW it. Ha.

And Ginny, believe me, if I wasn't so darn cheap, I'd be paying someone else to mow my lawn RIGHT NOW.

rockygrace said...

Whoops. I meant "Kate", of course.

Becs said...

Ground cover! Vinca. Junipers. Pumpkins - they need lots of sunny space to grow and grow well with other squashes, nasturtiums, etc. You could even do ivy,but watch it. That stuff can get away from you.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

how about Arizona where they don't look twice if you have a rock filled front yard with no grass to mow..