Monday, September 24, 2012

Give me enough rope ...

... and I'll volunteer for something for which I am completely unqualified.

Namely, speaking to luncheon groups at local senior centers about fostering for the animal rescue group.

Ha! Yeah, I've really gone and done it this time.

You see, our group is desperately in need of more foster homes. And more volunteers, in general. The problem is that these days everyone is so damn busy. So I got to thinking, who has time on their hands? Who is not tied up in a nine-to-five every day?

Senior citizens. Oh, I mean, I know that they're busy, some more so than others, some probably busier than I am, but I thought they would be more likely to have the time to volunteer. Because I'm good at stereotyping like that.

And so I suggested to the FC that we go to local senior centers and give a little talk about volunteering for our group. And I volunteered to give the talks. Because I am insane. The last time I did any public speaking was in high school.

But heck! I figured, I'm used to talking to people at adoption events and at the pet store. It'll be just like that, only with a microphone! (I have never used a microphone before in my life.)  And I'm a ham, and God knows I never shut up, so I should be all set! Right? Right? Riiiiiiiiight?

*
cough*

First talk is on Wednesday. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic idea. I think that a lot of our fears of public speaking ebb as we get older and have something authentic that we need to say (and not giving an assigned speech on how to use an instamatic camera, for instance...)

Tips on speaking to older audiences (I do some speaking at senior events):

1) Speak a little more slowly and clearly.

2) Maintain eye contact (not because they need you to stare at them, but because they often are unacknowledged lip readers who use your facial expressions to help them fill in what their ears miss).

3) Allow them to bring their expertise. You will look like a kid to them and they want to be valued for what they know.

4) Prepare to be interrupted. Prepare to be detained by talkative folks afterwards. They are interested and they are lonely. They feel used if you rush out.

5) If you can, bring samples of the merch. Kitties go a long way to persuading them. (I bring boxes of artifacts...not nearly so lively.)

Good luck. You'll do great!

- bridgett

~~Silk said...

Speaking, keep it short, just the facts, Ma'am. Then leave a l-o-n-g time for questions and discussion.

Birdie said...

Bring a few cats along with you. Trust me on this one.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the advice, guys!

We really wanted to bring some kittens, but because I will be speaking where food is being served, it's not allowed. Dammit. Maybe I could sneak one in under my coat ...

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

ooh.. a microphone! :) I like Birdie's suggestion of bringing a few cats along with you. :)

I love talking kittens, but I think even I might have an issue with a microphone.. I might need note cards or something with an outline to keep me from wandering off into "Oh My Goodness look at how CUTE they are!!" territory.