Friday, September 21, 2012

Return of Freaky Friday!


Okay, so Blogger finally went ahead and committed everybody to the new layout, which, Dear Blogger:  You Suck!  But you are free, so I'm just gonna have to grin and bear it, I guess.

Now!  Freaky Friday!  As you know, Freaky Friday went on extended break a while back, not because I ran out of weird sh*t, but because I hadn't had a chance to take more PICTURES of my weird sh*t.  But!  I finally got my butt in gear, and here we go with All New Episodes of Freaky Friday!


This is a ... something:



Is is a ... plate?  A plaque?  I DON'T KNOW.  All I know is, I found it on the dollar table of an antique store, and you KNOW I can't resist something as fantastically odd as this:


I am guessing that the dude in the middle is the Colossus of Rhodes.  Surrounded by pictures of castles:



And a ... signature?:


Yeah ... I have no idea WHAT this thing is.  But it's cool!  And it definitely fits right in here at Freaky Friday.

10 comments:

Birdie said...

That thing would give me nightmares! But yes, it is interesting!

James P. said...

Looks like the all-time one-size-fits-all souvenir from Rhodes. And it's not a signature....it's Rhodes written in Greek letters. (My vast knowledge of the Greek alphabet comes from growing up next to a large college campus with lots of sororities and fraternities.)

James P. said...

(Trying to imagine the comments when you, um, are no longer with us on earth, and someone is going through all this great stuff you've collected at flea markets.....)

rockygrace said...

Birdie, yeah, I keep it out in the garage. :)

and Ginny, look at that! Your knowledge of Greek finally came in handy! Thanks!

and I can only hope all my cool stuff ends up back at the flea markets. It's like recycling! I hope whoever cleans out my place doesn't just chuck it all in the dumpster ...

James P. said...

Maybe now's a good time to write stuff on the bottom of your treasures like "circa 1792" and exorbitant prices in foreign currency. Then they won't be tossed after you're gone, and you won't be in a position to care if folks find out you were lying....Ginny

rockygrace said...

Oh, man, Ginny, you're like some kind of evil genius ... :)

James P. said...

Looked at the little video for the new Blogger layout, and my reaction was "Huh?"....I suspect I won't be alone.........Ginny

rockygrace said...

Well, it's less confusing now than the LAST time they tried to roll it out, but still ...

Becs said...

I know that shell work was uber popular in the Victorian era. Go to Bristol, buy a big bag of shells, come home to Kingston and glue the little shells on anything that stands still long enough.

I'd be interested to know how old it really is.

rockygrace said...

Becs, yeah, I'm curious, too.

Especially since Ginny says it's probably a souvenir from Greece - the "plate" part is actually ceramic, and the thing weighs a few pounds - it's interesting to think of some long-ago tourist hauling it all the way home.

I find the best (i.e., "weirdest") stuff on the dollar table of the antique store, I swear.