Monday, March 14, 2011

Freaky Friday - Chomp



Yeah, yeah, I know it's late - I had kind of a busy week last week.


Okay, well, first off, we're not even gonna talk about the spider that was in my kitchen this morning. Suffice it to say I hope he was the only one of his kind, because if I see another one of those mofos, I am going to lose my shit.


And then call an exterminator.


'Cause that shit ain't right.


Now! Freaky Friday! A few days late.

I was walking down by the creek the other weekend when I saw some trees the beavers had been working on:




The tree in the photo above was probably about seventy feet tall, and about ten inches in diameter at the base. You can see that they had actually chewed down two trees, and had already hauled one away.




And to think they do it all one bite at a time.



See the teeth marks?

Chomp, chomp, chomp ...

So that's where "busy as a beaver" comes from.

7 comments:

Zella said...

Ha, ha :-D

Can I start doing my own Freaky Friday too, or have you, like, patented this idea..? ;) I would just tell freaky stories from my past...or sumthin'....?

Have a great week !

~~Silk said...

I always wondered how the beavers move the trees to the dam/lodge. Those things are HEAVY, even in short lengths. Do they chop them up into shorter lengths? Or do the use only the smaller branches and leave the main trunk lying there?

Please let us know what these guys do.

rockygrace said...

Zella, feel free to do your own Freaky Friday! Mine started out as a way to show all the weird crap in my house, and then expanded outward.

And ~~Silk, you can see in the top pic where they had moved one of the trees perpendicular to the one lying by the stump. I'm picturing a beaver battalion, all lined up and rolling the tree with their paws.

Holly said...

I wonder how many trees there are in the woods, lying there with little beaver feet sticking out from beneath them.

Logical Libby said...

Those are some impressive beavers.

Wait, that sounded bad...

rockygrace said...

Holly, I think we need to see an illustration of that.

And Libby, yeah, that DID sound pretty bad ...

Fish Food said...

Excellent stuff! Never seen that sort of thing before.