Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Oh, NOES!

I'm reading "Of Human Bondage"* during my lunch breaks at work**, and I'm at the point where Philip is about to literally starve to death, and I'm so worried for him! Granted, it's mostly his own fault, after blowing all his money on bad investments and Mildred the hooker, but still!

I hope he makes it, poor kid.



*I freely admit that before I started reading it, I assumed that "Of Human Bondage" was about African-American slavery in the 1800s. Oops.

**No, I'm not a pretentious jerk (I don't think so, anyway) - just trying to read some of the classics that I never got around to when I was younger.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, he makes it. If you like this one, you might like his The Razor's Edge. It's not as literary a novel but I liked it better.

Danger said...

I assumed it was akin to The Story of 'O'. Silly me!

rockygrace said...

Whoooaaa, Bridgett, you shoulda put a "spoiler alert" on the front of that!

And Danger, I like your thinking.

Unknown said...

Well, I figured you knew that because otherwise, the book would end pretty abruptly without a main character and you still had a bunch of pages to go. I didn't tell you how he got out of the jam, anyhow.

rockygrace said...

Yeah, I was pretty sure he wasn't gonna up and croak with another hundred or so pages to go.