Monday, December 22, 2008

Just Happy To Be Here

With the exception of The Runt, everybody in my household almost met their makers this weekend.

On Saturday morning, I discovered that the spike bar that supplies power to the fish tank had come unplugged, and the tank water was down to 66 degrees. The fish were sluggish, but recovered once the tank got back up to temp.

On Saturday afternoon, I made possibly one of the worst decisions of my life by deciding to take a back road home from the grocery store. I had assumed that the town would have plowed and sanded this particular twisty, turny, extremely steep road by then; I was wrong. Suffice it to say that I was shaking by the time I finally got off that hill.

Yesterday, Little Girl disappeared for several hours in the snow and cold and wind. I finally found her in the garden, snuggled next to Mr. Z (a garden statue) underneath his tarp.

So this morning, when it's seven degrees out and windy? That's okay. We're all still here.

6 comments:

listie said...

I'm glad everyone is safe, snug and warm. I'm trying to figure out what road you were on. So many in your area could be described as that in the winter and I've had some close calls on them as well.

rockygrace said...

It was Pierce Hill Rd. I was heading west and got to that great big hill right before the turnoff to Arnold Park. I got about halfway up and started slueing sideways, trying desperately to avoid crashing through the teeny, flimsy guardrail and going over the dropoff.

I will NEVER drive that road in winter again.

Danger said...

I'm glad everyone made it :)

rockygrace said...

Me, too, Danger!

listie said...

I thought that might be it. I've has some close calls coming down it from Rt 26 to Main St. The ditches on that road could eat an entire car and the area you were in is really bad. When I was a kid I used to drive that road late at night and in all kinds of weather. Crappy, unreliable old car, before the days of cell phones - what was I thinking?

rockygrace said...

You drove it at NIGHT, Listie?! Wow! I can't even imagine what that sucker must be like after dark, especially in bad weather.