Friday, December 12, 2008

The Groove Tube

Does anyone else remember that movie? It came out in the seventies, and was basically a series of satirical skits.

I remember watching it in the living room with my sister Ditzy, who is eight years older than me, and some of her friends. I must have been twelve or thirteen at the time, and I guess the movie must have gotten a little racy, because my Mom finally said, "Okay, Rockycat, enough of this movie for you", and sent me off to bed.

And I remember being secretly glad, because even though I didn't understand all of the innuendos, I understood enough to know that I was really embarrassed by what I was seeing.

As a kid, whenever a tv show would show two people kissing, or (gulp!) in bed together, I'd get all embarrassed, squeal "Ewwww, love junk!" and leave the room.

I guess I was a little, erm, prude-ish. And up until my Mom got Alzheimer's, which left her unable to understand the content of anything on tv, I would get embarrassed if we were watching tv together and "love junk" would come on.

So tell me: Do kids still get embarrassed by "love junk" on tv, or are they so overexposed these days that it fails to register? Is there anything that you're embarrassed to watch with your Mom?

Just curious.


Oh! And when I was in high school, I pawing through the bookshelf in the dining room one day, looking for something to read. And my Mom handed me her copy of "The Thorn Birds" and said, "Here, try this one - it's really good". And, well, if you've ever read "The Thorn Birds", you know it's got some parts that are a little steamy. And I was reading along, and I was all, like, "Oh my GOD my MOM read this!! And TOLD ME to read it! She KNOWS I'm reading this! Eeeek!" Heh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my house, sex was a common topic. We didn't discuss graphic details, but it came up in a general way pretty often. Still, I was like you. I might not leave the room, but I was always really uncomfortable with sex or even kissing on TV. Now it doesn't matter, although I don't routinely watch much of anything with my parents since they live in another state. My parents read my blog, and I occasionally talk about sex on there. It's not a big deal I guess.

As for the kids of today, I know that my students (around 18-20 most of them) still get embarrassed by sex. It comes up in some of our readings or discussions, and no one is eager to talk to about it. Anything dealing the body is still something to snicker about, so I do think there is something embarrassing about it even to a generation of such jaded kids. Maybe not like before, but it's still there.

rockygrace said...

Wow, kitkat, it's amazing to me that kids still get embarrassed by sex - that's actually a little reassuring.