Friday, March 14, 2008

Heresy

I am thinking about getting another cat. Or two.

I know, I KNOW. I feel terrible guilt just thinking about it. Or writing it down. But I'm just so damn lonely and sad right now, and I did something really bad last night.

I went to an animal shelter. NOT the nice clean shelter where I donated Rocky's food. This was another local shelter, a kind-of-skeevy, smelly, noisy shelter. And I felt so damn bad for those poor cats that I was ready to pile every single one of them into my car and take them home with me.

I did not, of course. Although such was my desperation that there were two cats in particular that I was ready to take home. And I was all, like, "no no no don't do anything rash step back and think about this and maybe come back in a week and if they're still here it was meant to be and .........." Oh, I am losing it.

So I went home, took several deep breaths (or sobs .... hey, if the shoe fits), and thought about the situation. I remembered that at one point the nice shelter where I took Rocky's food was looking for "foster families" to take in cats on a temporary basis until there was room for them at the shelter. I don't know if they're still doing this, but .......... I called and left a message on their answering machine, saying I might be interested.

Also, goldfish. I am going to get a goldfish bowl this weekend and a couple of fish.

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not a terrible person for thinking about getting another cat. Or two. I miss Rocky terribly. I'm just lonely. And sad.

5 comments:

Exador said...

You are certainly not a terrible person, and there's nothing wrong with getting another cat.
You aren't doing anybody any good by fixating on Rocky. He had a long, spoiled happy life that anybody would be jealous of.
Remember him, but's it's ok to move on.

Personally, I'd get a dog, but that's me. ;)

rockygrace said...

Thanks, Exador.

Anonymous said...

Oh RC, I really agree with exador here.

You are absolutely not a terrible person, you will miss him and remember him, but you've got to allow yourself to move on.

Unknown said...

Why deny another cat or two the opportunity of a loving, happy household and a lifetime of care? Seems to me that would be a great way to commemorate and celebrate your life with Rocky when you're ready to do so.

rockygrace said...

Aww, thanks, everybody. The fish are actually cheering me up quite a bit, oddly enough.