Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"Copper", My Ass!

As previously noted, I had planned to dye my hair copper-color this past weekend. I had a package of the temporary color that washes out after 8 - 10 shampoos. So, boring Saturday night + box of hair color = certain disaster, at least at my place. (I admit it! I have no life!) My hair is now orange. Bright orange. I actually kind of like it (because I'm weird), but I am getting tired of the stares. I guess that technically I would have to be about twenty(-five) years younger to pull off this look. Oh well! Live and learn!

I saw the woodchuck in the backyard for the first time this spring this past weekend. He lives under the neighbor's shed. Nothing says "spring" like woodchucks, at least around here.

The male goldfinches are starting to turn yellow again. When they first show up in the spring, they're dull and olive-colored, just like the gals, but in a few weeks they turn yellow (Well, not all over. Just the parts of them that are supposed to be yellow, turn yellow). Which reminds me, I use one of those mesh finch feeders. The ones that look like a hanging tube sock? Well, I had put up the one I had from last year, and the finches were going to town on it, but it looked kind of ratty, so I went and bought a nice bright clean new one and hung it up. And the finches won't go near it. WTF?

The lilac, in addition to the buds, is now getting leaves! Wa-hoo!

I went for a quick walk down by the creek last weekend, because I was desperate to get outside even though the weather sucked, and I heard my first red-winged blackbird of the season. Didn't see it, but I heard it! And lest you think I'm some weird bird fanatic who can identify birds by their calls, um ......... no. But some bird songs are so distinctive, you know right away what they are. For me, they are: Blue Jay. Cardinal. Dove. Red-Winged Blackbird. Give me a few days and I might think of a couple more, but that's about it!

5 comments:

Exador said...

I took Zachary up the creek when I was there for Christmas. We went up the wooded side.
I can't believe how much that has changed since the big flood came through.
Oh yeah. How did you make out during the big flood? If my guess is correct, you're located in an area that could have gotten some water. Which side of the old ski shop do you live?

rockygrace said...

Hi Exador! Yes, the creek area has changed, but not just from the flood. The Town has been in there with dozers clearing out the trees and brush along the main walking path. They're talking about putting athletic fields in there (the Town owns the land), but supposedly that is several years away, so I don't know why they're clearing it now. Some kind of future flood mitigation? I don't know.
Speaking of the creek, have you ever seen the devil-worshipping altar that's at the very end of one of the side trails? It's a small stone monument with burned bibles, etc. I assume it's just kid stuff, but it's still kind of creepy.
I live to the east of the ski shop. My building stayed dry, but people's basements were flooded just a few doors down (closer to the ski shop). Although I did lose electricity for five days, I know lots of people had it much worse.

Exador said...

I did not see the devil-worshipping altar.
Kids today?!

I grew up in those woods and along the creek (meeeemmmmreeees, light the coooornnnnerrrrs of my miiiiiinnnnd)

The Rock Chick said...

Ouch! I've had orange hair on several occassions...thanksfully, yours should wash out pretty quickly!!! Great blog---love the stories....

Jessica The Rock Chick

rockygrace said...

Jessica - I am so honored that you are reading my blog! I love love love your blog! Thanks so much!