Friday, August 09, 2013

Turns out the Mormons aren't the only ones with holy underwear




Remember back when Mitt Romney was running for President and people got all in a snit over the holy underwear the Mormons wear?

Yeah, well, I was perusing the Discount Catholic Store on line today (don't ask) (I need a plastic shrine, cheap), and it turns out they have a whole section devoted to "scapulars".

Which is a pretty gross word, actually, as it seems to be some kind of unholy mash-up of "scrape" and "scab", but do you know what a scapular actually is?

Here ya go.

My brother-in-law is a deacon in the RC church and now I kind of want to ask him what he's got on under his clothes, except that would be gross.

What IS it with these religious people, anyway?  I mean, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't give a sh*t who or what you worship, as long as you don't beat people over the head with it, but that's how it always ends up, isn't it?  You don't believe what I believe, and wham, there's a war on.  And now you add in holy underwear and all this other hocus-pocus bullsh*t, and I just can't with these religious types.

I mean, I understand that religions were basically created to keep people in line, because our ancient ancestors figured out pretty early on that a lot of people would run around killing each other and banging sheep and stuff unless there was the threat of an angry God hanging over their heads.  But now, millenia later, is that still really necessary?  Because it seems that there are still an awful lot of people acting like savages, usually doing so in the name of religion.  That don't seem right.

I don't know.  I don't believe in anything.  I'm fairly certain that the sun is going to rise in the morning.  There are lots of things that I like, but that doesn't make them beliefs.  And there are plenty of thing that I believe, even though I don't understand how they happen.  Like, I believe that planes can fly, even if I don't understand the mechanics of it all.  I see planes fly, therefore I believe that they can.  Or should it be, I see planes fly, therefore I *know* that they can?  I mean, it's not my belief that's keep those planes up in the air.  It's ... aerodynamics. 

There ya go.  Your daily dose of religion, with a side trip through aerodynamics, courtesy of RockyCat.  Ha.






 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was given a set of scapulars (Our Lady of Carmel and St. Simon Stock) when I made my First Communion, but we never received any instructions on what they were or what to do with them. I kept them with my little pink plastic Rosary (still do...ran across them the other day when I was cleaning my office). I would be surprised if many American Catholics wear them as a daily devotional. I know some pretty devout people and they all chuckled when I brought it up. - bridgett

rockygrace said...

I kind of like the idea of keeping something next to your skin. Like a tattoo, but removable for job interviews and dinner with Grandma. Oh, except for with scapulars, the point was to wear them all the time, right? Except for showertime, I guess.

I've been pondering, and I wonder if religion is some people's way of dealing with the idea that life can be utterly random.

the queen said...

Gary kept his scapular in his wallet. He showed it to me on our first date.

rockygrace said...

Sounds like a helluva date, queen. Was bowling involved?

Birdie said...

It seems people think they can get on God's good side by either doing stuff or not doing stuff. I think if there is a God he/she just loves us no matter what but is sad by the way we act.

rockygrace said...

Birdie, isn't that the whole idea of religion? Trying to stay on God's good side?

Personally, I just try not to be an a**hole. Makes life choices simpler.