Saturday, August 31, 2013

State Fair Edition



So, yesterday, I hit the road for the fair.

Whole lotta nothin' in the ninety miles between here and Syracuse,  where the fair is held, but it's still a pretty drive. I was not feeling well (Hello C-diff my old friend; you've come to f*ck with me again) and I  couldn't eat any trashy fair food (deep-fried oreos! chocolate coated bacon!) but I was able to handle some preshus, preshus soft-serve ice cream.

There was a sand sculpture:





And a butter  sculpture:


That thing  on top is a cow statue of liberty.  Awesome!  I was having a hard time getting good pics in the buildings.

And I got to thinking, they ought to make the sand sculpture out of brown sugar instead.  Then, at the end of the fair, they could take the sugar sculpture and the butter sculpture and bulldoze them together and dump a truckload of flour and lots of eggs on top and make cookies!  State Fair cookies!

Yeah,  I think about weird stuff when I'm wandering around the fair.

There was a display of miniature circuses (circi?):




Bought:  A dress and a skirt (I am not immune to the trashy, supposedly "ethnic" crap you can buy at the state fair), some two-bucks-each cocktail rings, and an amazing pair of bobblehead dragons.  My bobblehead animal craze faded away several years ago, but if you can pass up bobblehead dragons, you're a better man than I am,  Gunga Din.

Got to see a heifer calf being born - let's just say that the people in the audience who were dismayed  when the chains came out have obviously not spent much time on a farm.  And there were plenty of piglets:






That mama looks like she's just about over it, don't she?  "Yeah, yeah, you guys keep eating, I'm gonna take a little nap, here."

You could buy a chicken:





Those 4Hers are a practical lot.  "I will display my chicken with pride, and then sell it."

And I always love looking at the flowers:





I didn't even know they MADE round carriages, did you?:


I love the carriage and the agricultural museums, because they have volunteers there making baskets, and quilting, and blacksmithing, and doing all kinds of old-fashioned stuff.  And the average age of the volunteers is, like, ninety-five,  which is awesome.


Oh, and I spent a less-than-entertaining half hour in the parking lot arguing with my doctor's office over whether they would prescribe more Vanco for my third (or is it fourth) C-diff recurrence.  Final answer?  "No".  Should be an interesting next coupla weeks.

I  think I saw just about everything at the fair.  It was a ton of fun, and the people-watching is EXcellent.  You've just gotta carry a map and choose your restrooms wisely.

See ya next time, fair!



4 comments:

~~Silk said...

Sounds like your fair is my kinda fair. Going alone is best, 'cause you can get yourself fascinated by some small thing for as long as you want without someone tugging on you to move on. Sigh. I miss real fairs.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, yeah, I prefer to solo it. Especially since that way, I can leave when I want to. Yesterday, a combination of the heat (85 and muggy), the smell in the animal barns, and my uncertain stomach started to work on me after a few hours, and it was good to be able to pack it in without disappointing anybody else.

Oh, and they said on the news today that over 76,000 people went through the gates yesterday. That's a lotta people!

fmcgmccllc said...

Gotta love the butter sculpture but my fave is the pigs. Red pigs. Baby red piglets, to die for. We don't have a state fair anymore and I missed the county fairs.

rockygrace said...

fmcetc., it always amazes me how BIG pigs get.