Monday, August 05, 2013

I don't get it



"Duck Dynasty", that is.

I watched a couple of episodes when it first started airing and thought, "meh".  A bunch of hillbillies, hillbilly-proud, acting like dipsh*ts for the cameras.  Eh.  I mean, I watch my fair share of crap reality tv ("Below Deck", anyone?), but this show just seemed ... pointless.  And boring. 

But then I was in Walmart the other day and saw racks of "Duck Dynasty" t-shirts.  And calendars.  And books.  And ... welcome mats.  Yes, there were "Duck Dynasty" welcome mats.

Whaaaaa?, I thought.  Maybe I missed something the first time around?

So I turned on another episode the other night and ... nope.  Still a bunch of hillbillies acting like morons.  In slow-motion, no less.  I swear, that show has the pacing of syrup.  And I cannot for the life of me bring myself to give two sh*ts about the making of the world's largest duck whistle or whatever the hell it was.

So ... what am I missing?  What's so spectacular about "Duck Dynasty"?  Enquiring minds want to know.






6 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I don't get Honey BooBoo either

rockygrace said...

Oh lord, do not get me started on Honey Boo Boo. I just can't with that show. It's not even funny. It's just sad. And dismaying.

fmcgmccllc said...

I don't get the duck people either. About the only one I really watch anymore is the pawn shop in Vegas because people bring in interesting things.

rockygrace said...

fmcetc., I used to like the pawn shop show. And American Pickers, too, until the shows both became so obviously staged that they stopped being fun. And I sure do wish the Pickers would just come out already.

Poor naive me, expecting reality shows to actually be ... reality.

~~Silk said...

The only "reality" show I recommend is The Amazing Race (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race). Scripting is unlikely, it's difficult for producers to interfere, the scenery is amazing, you get to travel the world, and there's not much opportunity for people to be nasty to each other. Try to catch it when it's on (CBS, starting September 29th this year).

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I do watch the Amazing Race! The only part I don't like is the eating challenges - they make me queasy. *urp*