Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Quick Question



Okay, so I'm getting ready to start some new "arty" (read: "weird")  projects.  And I need to know the best way to adhere things to other things.  Beads to mirrors, sequins to wood, metal to plastic, etc.

I need an adherent that's fairly industrial - Something that can stand up to wear and tear and is water-resistant.  Superglue is worthless, and tacky glue isn't tough enough - I'm thinking along the lines of epoxy or rubber cement, and with a long enough drying time that I could take fifteen minutes or so to get things "set". 

Any ideas?  Thanks, folks.


p.s.  Oh!  Here's another question:  A local rescue has asked me to foster four, four-month-old, feral kittens.  Yay or nay?






6 comments:

~~Silk said...

Glue - I suggest you go to the nearest hardware store and ask for advice, read labels, etc. I have my favorites for some of those requirements, but I'm sure each of them would let you down in some other way.

Kitties - You can't be with them all day, so I guess it would depend on how far they are into being tamed and socialized. If they're still a bit feral at four months, they'll need more attention than you can provide.

~~Silk said...

Oh, check craft stores for glue, too. Especially the jewelry sections. That's where I find the rhinestones-to-metal stuff.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

as for the kittens.. well duh! but than I'm always for taking in kittens :)

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, thanks for the advice.

Tails, yeah, it's hard to turn them down, ain't it? I try to be practical - What color are they? (We all know how long it takes a black cat to get adopted); How old will they be in December? (We try to discourage people from actually putting a kitten under the tree, btw) - So we'll see if I end up with the wild bunch.

~~Silk said...

Check out LOCTITE STIK'N SEAL EXTREME CONDITIONS. Water, vibration, UV, and impact resistant. Works for everything except metal to metal, rubber, a few specific plastics (PE, PP, PTFE), and constant immersion. 5-minute working time. Dries clear. 758 PSI sheer strength. Dangerous - read warnings.

I used it to stick the plastic numbers to the plastic siding and they're still holding.

Tube was opened in late 2010, and has not hardened. I just used it today to repair the barrel of a mechanical pencil I broke in half last night.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks!