Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Snaaaaaaaaaakes!


Warning:  Snake pic ahead.


I mean it!  There's a pic of a snake coming up!  You've been warned!









Every spring, this is what shows up in my garage:


A bunch of teeny,  tiny snakes.  These guys are only about five inches long, but I'll tell you what, if you put your hand down near them, they'll strike at ya.  With a bigger snake, it would be terrifying, but a teeny-tiny pencil-sized snake rearing up at you?  ADORABULS.

After a little research, I think they're milk snakes.  That's the only species native to this neck of the woods that looks like these guys.  I wonder where their momma is - the only ones I ever see are these leetle baby snakes.  Supposedly they hatch in August, so I'm guessing these are last year's crew. 

I always transport them out to the gardens when they show up.  I put a flower pot upside-down on top of 'em, slide a piece of cardboard under the pot, and off we go.  I hope they eat lots of slugs, because God knows there's plenty at my place.  Bon appetit, leetle snakes!







8 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

adorable in the way kittens hissing at you is adorable :)

although I'm not sure I'd ever consider a snake adorable.. but I'm just species-ist like that..

rockygrace said...

Trust me, Tails, in my house? Spiders get SMUSHED. FLAT. *shudder*

James P. said...

Eastern Milk Snake....pictures match on the Snake ID sites. Pretty. They sound grumpy.

rockygrace said...

Yeah, if I'd just waken up after six months of sleep, I'd probably be pretty crabby, too. "GOD, lady! Quit BUGGING me!"

Birdie said...

I love snakes! Fortunately, we don't have any poisonous ones where I live so I can enjoy them.

James P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James P. said...

Ginny: It's an Eastern Milk snake.

Rocky: That's what I JUST SAID!!!!

Ginny: Yeah, but you're the baby sister and no one listens to you.

rockygrace said...

Ain't that the truth, Ginny. :)