Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Let's talk about the headlines. Now with updates!




Okay, first, Margaret Thatcher died.  And until now, I didn't know that she was a really polarizing presence in England - people either loved her or hated her.  I was still in high school when she first got became Prime Minister, so maybe that's why I was a little clueless on this one.  I can't keep up with everything, people.  (And yes, I'm aware that that's a p*ss-poor excuse.)

And how hilarious is that whole "Holy cow, Cher is dead?!" thing.  Oh man, I sure hope Cher's getting a good laugh out of it.

Next, and this is breaking right now, evidently some dude stabbed fourteen people on a college campus in Texas.  I'd like to think that if some maniac was coming after me with a knife, I'd run faster than Jesse freaking Owens, so I'm guessing that maybe he went into a sleep lab or something, or else there is something else at play here.

Finally, in the "The Emperor Has No Clothes" department, how hilarious/depressing is this whole Brad Paisley/LL Cool J "Accidental Racist" thing?  Did no one, NO ONE, out of all of these two's handlers, step forward to say, "This is a really sh*tty idea?"  Evidently not.

Update:  And now I see that a woman is suing Hooters because they cut her hours when she refused to wear a wig to cover her brain-surgeried bald and sutured head.  I realize that this is gonna be a touchy one, but for f*ck's sake, Hooters can refuse to hire you if you're fat.  They can refuse to hire you if you're flat-chested.  They can refuse to hire you if you're ugly.  But this woman thinks she can sue them for cutting her hours because she wouldn't wear a wig?  Isn't that kinda like suing Disneyworld because you were fired for refusing to wear the Mickey costume?  I'm ... missing something here.




2 comments:

~~Silk said...

I agree with you on the Hooter's thing. They're selling fantasy, and the fantasy woman has hair, not a scarf.

On the Texas "stabbing"s,
1. Not stabbing. Slashing. The latest reports say he used a utility knife, the hardware store thing with a 1 inch blade. Enclosed in a hand, it's not obvious. He was also carrying an exacto knife (not a scalpel, as earlier reports had it) but doesn't seem to have used it.
2. Stabbing takes more time than slashing. Slashing can be done on the run, and the victim is often not aware until some seconds after, making it difficult for bystanders to realize there WAS an attack, let alone to identify the attacker.
3. Unlike a gun, there's no BANG to draw attention. With a bunch of people running, how do you know who to run from?
4. In a crowd, you can slash a lot of people before anyone notices. On the run, you can be gone before they do.

What snorks me is all the people saying "well if the students were armed...". Yeah, sure. There'd be a lot more people dead. The slasher, and ten others who were either mistaken for the slasher, hit by a stray shot, or just in the way of a bad aim.

rockygrace said...

Why can't people go berserk on a collage campus with, I don't know, Silly Putty or something?

"The next thing I knew, there was a panel from the Sunday comics on the side of my face ..."