Friday, March 22, 2013

what? NO, I'm not making it UP!



Dudes.  Duuuuudes.

As you may know, I've been doing Jillian workouts since December.  I strive for three workouts a week, and sometimes I actually make it. 

I haven't really seen any big transformation, other than that I can (usually) now get to the end of a workout without collapsing onto the floor.  My arm muscles (biceps?  it that the name?  I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE CALLED, oh my God I am lame) are a little firmer.  I actually snort when, during one workout, Jillian barks, "If you're on Week 3, you should be seeing a six-pack right about now!", because the only six-pack I'm gonna see is in my fridge.

and then ... and then ... the other day, I got out of the shower, and I was toweling off, and I happened to look in the mirror, and ...

my stomach looked ... different.  There was ... a definite area of difference in the middle of my stomach.

guys.  I think I'm growing my very own six-pack.

Oh, it's still pretty doughy, and while I've got some vertical ... indents ... going on, I CERTAINLY do not yet have the horizontal ... creases ... that mark a true six-pack, but holy sh*t you guys IT'S WORKING.  THE JILLIAN WORKOUT IS WORKING.

I have to say I never saw that coming, given my half-assed approach to the workouts and the fact that I still drink a lot of beer (maybe the six-pack is just osmosing from the inside to the outside?), but I am inordinately pleased to actually see some results from my efforts, which honestly tends not to be the case in a lot of areas of my life.

Dudes.  I HAVE A SIX-PACK.  What can I say?  Call me Jillian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very difficult for older women to get horizontal cuts (it's the way our body fat stacks versus the way that men's body fat layers stack and hormonal stuff), but it's not impossible. If I wanted a 6-pack, I'd either have to buy it at the quickie mart or draw it on with a brown crayon -- good job! (Did you know that dancers often use bronzer to "paint on" or add definition to their abs...things you learn when you watch Dance Moms!) -- bridgett

~~Silk said...

I had a six-pack into my mid-thirties, not so much from an exercise program as from isometrics and isotonics throughout the day, like while driving or reading Gone now, never to return. (Well, not completely gone. Sometimes I can feel them under the, uh, comfortable padding.)

Now that you're are seeing results, maybe you'll be more enthusiastic about keeping a schedule?

rockygrace said...

bridgett, I had no idea that you could paint on abs. That is hilariously awesome.

and ~~Silk, I am envious of you. As for me, lawn-mowing season is right around the corner, meaning less time for Jillian, so I'm pretty sure that soon my baby abs will be melting back into the flab. *sigh* Oh well, there's always NEXT winter.

~~Silk said...

As you mow (or sit, or drive, or whatever) pull in your midsection and tummy and hold it as tight as you can, for as long as you can. That doesn't necessarily build them, but it will help to maintain them.

For your arms, stand in a doorway and try to push the sides of the frame away in three positions: 1) with palms up high, 2) with palms at shoulder height, and 3) with the backs of your hands with the arms down. Hold the position as hard as you can as long as you can. Again, this is for maintenance.