Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Biggest Loser

Yeah, yeah, I watch it.

I always try to do a Jillian workout when I get home on Mondays, so I don't feel guilty later in the evening when I'm parked on my chair, drinking beer and eating fries and watching The Biggest Loser.

And I was glad that Danni won.  But, frankly, the thing was rigged.  Before this season even started, there was talk about how guys almost always win (because they come in weighing more, and thus it's easier for them to drop more), and how this season there would be a woman winner, to keep the audience watching future seasons.  And voila!  Danni wins.

And she lost ... as much as I weigh right now.  She lost ME.  In six months.  But she wasn't even the one who lost the most weight - the one guy lost a hundred and eighty-one pounds.  IN SIX MONTHS. 

I still can't figure out how they do that.  How the show can take these grossly overweight people, work them like dogs, practically starve them, and not have anybody keel over from a heart attack.

I wonder how many of them keep the weight off?  I mean, I hope they all do, but realistically?  Once they're back home, without a trainer riding herd over them?

Oh, heck, maybe I'm just being cynical.  I mean, if I can quit smoking and STAY quit, anything can happen, right?

So.  The Biggest Loser is over.  What the heck am I going to watch on Monday nights now?

2 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

I've heard that very few of the contestants keep the weight off. I wish they could, but losing 15 lbs per week is a recipe for yo-yo weight gain. Plus, from what they show anyway, other than Jillian and Bob yelling at them and everybody crying each week, there isn't much therapy going on.

I don't watch very often, but I did watch the season where Ali Vinent won, and it looks like she kept the weight off. I really liked her.

rockygrace said...

Kate, yeah, at a certain point it's not really about the donuts anymore - there's something else going on. Although putting down the donuts is a good start.

I see Ali is now a motivational speaker.

I liked Olivia, the opera singer.