Thursday, February 28, 2013

He. protected. child. molesters.

I swear, I am watching the news coverage of the Pope's last day, and I just do not understand it.

(a) Supposedly, God speaks directly through the Pope, am I correct?  I mean, as far as Church doctrine goes?  So does the Pope even GET to choose to "resign" from God speaking through him?  I mean, what if God decides to keep right on talking?  "Pope. POPE.  I'M NOT DONE YET.  GET YOUR ASS BACK TO THE VATICAN."

(b)  Dude was a member of the Hitler Youth.  And right now, that's the LESSER of his offenses.  I think it's saying something when a past association with Nazism is not your biggest problem.

(c)  He. Protected. Child. Molesters.

Quite frankly,  I am not sure how anyone can still be a member of the Catholic Church in good conscience.  Apart and aside from the fact that believing in God makes as much sense as believing in the Easter Bunny *ducks*, I simply do not understand how anyone would want to belong to a club whose higher-ups hushed up known pedophilia for YEARS.  I don't get that.

I don't get it at all.

5 comments:

Birdie said...

Don't even get me started on the Catholic church and the Pope. In my opinion the entire thing should be liquidated and the money should go to helping the poor and all the people they have literally screwed over.

rockygrace said...

My brother-in-law is a DEACON in the Catholic Church. I want to punch him every time I see him. It's like, he could take all of that energy that he spends and use it for GOOD instead of for supporting a bunch of child abusers.

His congregation is currently building a great big expensive brand-new church. It makes me want to spit.

Yeah, this stuff gets me a little riled up.

~~Silk said...

Barbara Walters was asked what question she would like to ask the pope. She replied, "What would Jesus think of the way you dress?"

Becs said...

This is why I left the Church. Part of my heart is still there, the part of the Church that really is about theology.

I left when our pastor asked us to give five percent of our gross income to the Church. I wrote him a letter, asking him how I could be assured that this money would not be used to support sexual abusers enjoy their retirement. I never got a letter back.

rockygrace said...

I guess if I feel the need to worship something, I don't need some multi-million dollar building and a bunch of child molesters to tell me how to do it.

Don't even get me started on the Catholic Church. Did you know that priests used to be able to marry? Unfortunately, when they died they had a tendency to leave their estates to their families instead of the church, so wham! Celibacy requirement.