Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Some observations on yoga

Okay, so, first off, "My 600 pound life:  Melissa's story" is on TLC right now.  It's my favorite doc on obesity, ever.  Very honest.  Very good.

Now.   Tonight was a night off from Jillian, so I thought I'd try a yoga DVD, because I'm, like, the least flexible person ever, and I thought some yoga might help.   Because, obviously, doing a yoga DVD once is going to improve your flexibility.  Ha.

And there was lots of plank position, just like Jillian, and some moves that, well ... at one point, I swear to God, the demonstrator actually levitated her entire body off the palms of her hands, which, well, I predict I will be able to do that ... never.   Is it an age thing?  Should I be able to do all of the things the much-younger demonstrator can?  Because somehow, it seems like maybe I should be able to do this stuff, well, after practicing for a while, anyway, regardless of age, but what do I know? 

And while I liked the lady instructor, I kind of yucked out when the man instructor came on.  Leg hair?  Armpit hair?  Yeeccccccccch.

Does this mean I'm gay?  Yeah, no,  I don't think so.  (Insert standard "not that there's anything wrong with that" disclaimer here.) It kind of skeeves me out, frankly, when Jillian pretends to bite the butts of her (female) demonstrators.  It's like, jeezus,  Jill,  we already KNOW, okay?

Rocky.  Thinking way too much about workout DVDs tonight.  Excuse me while I go dispose of the mouse that  Ponyboy brought in.  Don't mice hibernate during the winter?  Evidently only the smart ones, because my cats have been making a killing lately.

3 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

You can't be the least flexible person ever because that's me! I would say that you shouldn't try to compare yourself against anybody else--young, old, whatever. Sure, you can progress from where you are, but there's no such thing as "getting there." You'll never arrive. When you achieve one thing, there will be something else you think you should be able to do or do better.

~~Silk said...

When there's snow cover, mice tunnel under the snow. Sometimes they don't realize how thin the snow cover is, and they assume they're safer than they are. Easy pickings.

From the perspective of an old belly dancer, yeah, old joints, being mechanical and rather sloppily self-repairing, do stiffen up. "Old" as applied to joints, is more a function of injury than years.

rockygrace said...

Guys, I got almost all the way through the DVD last night when I realized that your heels are supposed to be on the floor for downward dog. Yeah, not gonna happen. Ha.

And she kept calling pushups some yoga name. I guess they're supposed to be easier if you call 'em something pretty. :)