Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A perfect life. A perfect mind.

Okay, I was reading something about someone having to apologize after describing something as "gay". And then, someone in the comments described his apology as "lame", at which point the commenter was lambasted for using a euphemism for, oh God, I don't even know how it was phrased, but it was along the lines of "lame" equates to "crippled", which is making fun of the differently abled. Something like that.

And I just ... sometimes I want to give up. Sometimes there are things I would like to talk about here, that I don't even know how to start the conversation, because I know somebody's gonna jump on my stuff. (Want to know an example? Fine. I hesitated to post pics of my cats outside, because I worried that it was just gonna start a shitstorm of "How DARE you let your animals outside?" And if I had more readers (ha), if I was a Dooce, it probably would have.)

So ... here's a question: Is free speech dead? Are we now supposed to self-monitor to the point where we can't even mention certain terms ("lame") anymore without the shit hitting the fan? If someone calls someone else a "dumb blonde", should they then be expected to make a public apology? If someone gets their feelings hurt because someone else referred to someone ELSE as a "retard", is it the end of the damn world for everybody? And is this the way it should be?

Because I'm starting to worry that if that's the case, there won't be any good insults LEFT.

6 comments:

fmcgmccllc said...

I hate that shit. I am a dumb blonde that hates lame jokes and dreams of being gay and carefree. I had to be so politically and culturally correct at my last job I kinda went off the deep end in my personal life. It worked fine for me as I do not give a shit.

That Hank said...

An insult is supposed to be insulting. That's the point. Which is why people get called out for things like using gay as an insult or dropping a fairly hardcore insult like retard into everyday casual conversation.

Free speech has never meant freedom from reaction. Especially online. If you do not want to risk an argument about things you know people are passionate about (inside vs outside cats, to take your own example), don't bring them up. That has always been the case.

You can self monitor or everyone else can monitor you. And it's been that way since we developed language.

rockygrace said...

fmcetc., I love you.

Question: Are there any words describing dissatisfaction that aren't offensive to someone? I mean, even "stupid" and "moronic" and "dumbass" would draw shit from the mentally challenged. What's left? Saying, "This copier that just jammed up is sadly inadequate?" Oops, I guess "inadequate" would be out of the question as well. Hmm.

"Goddamn lameass f*cktard copier just ruined my report!" That feels better.

Becs said...

I know, I know. I think I puked the first time I heard "handicapable." If it's any comfort, some of my crip friends puked, too.

An old college pal works at a Major University in the Disability Services Office and she has had to explain to parents that being a vegetarian is not a disability.

But having parents that stupid might be.

Oh, and I love the word "fucktard."

rockygrace said...

"handicapable"? oh boy. *rolls eyes*

~~Silk said...

Um, aren't race horses truly handicapable (able to be handicapped)? I don't understand....