Thursday, June 07, 2012

Am I crazy?

I got an email from the FC (foster coordinator) tonight. Someone had seen the kittens I am fostering on a pet adoption website and was interested in meeting two of them (the person was looking for a specific gender and color). The FC asked if I could contact this person, and take the kittens to the person's house for a meet-and-greet.

Ummmmm ... no.

I emailed back, explaining to the FC that I did not feel comfortable going alone to the home of someone I did not know. I offered several options for a meet-and-greet, including having someone else from the rescue group come with me; meeting in public; or meeting at my place of work.

So, am I just paranoid? I've been on meet-and-greets before, but always with another person along. I did offer to go to a meet-and-greet alone last week, but that was with a person who had already adopted from us and was familiar to the FC.

I mean, regardless, I'm not budging on this one. I am too familiar with the weirdity of the internet to do anything like this. But I'm curious - what would YOU do?

6 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

You're not crazy. It seems to make sense for the FC to be the go-between and offer some kind of neutral meeting place for everyone's safety. And aren't you doing enough by being a foster mom to several kittens anyway? It sounds like the FC is saying, "Would you mind doing my job for me? K, thanks." Sheesh. No good deed...

Birdie said...

I would never go alone to someone's home, especially a cat person, we all know how weird they are. he he.

Seriously. I would never go alone and you are not paranoid. :-)

the queen said...

You are not at all crazy. I turned down the pres of my old company when she wanted me to go visit a friend of hers at his house.

I also hate it when strange repairmen come in to my house.

Becs said...

What they said...no, I would never do that. You're right to trust your smarts and your instincts. Plus, make the FC chick do her own job.

rockygrace said...

Glad I'm not alone, here. I'm just trying to avoid waking up in an ice-filled bathtub missing a kidney ...

~~Silk said...

Lifehacker.com just had an article on dealing with Craigslist purchases/sales. They say to meet in a public place if possible, but if it's an article that requires a home visit (refrigerator, kittens) then always have someone (or two) with you.