Thursday, June 14, 2012

Peelin' the easy way. Oh lord.

I was watching a slideshow on somebody's blog the other day, and they had it set to "Time for Me to Fly", by REO Speedwagon. An old classic from my high school days. *cough*

You know how it goes ...

"You got me stealin' your love away
'cause you never give it
Peelin' the easy way
and we can't relive it"

And I was thinking, like, "Dude canNOT be singing "Peelin' the easy way". What the hell does that even MEAN? I know that I've always THOUGHT that's what he was singing, but it makes no SENSE."

So I googled. Of course. I don't think the internet even EXISTED when that song came out, so excuse me for not doing it sooner.

"Peelin' the years away".

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

hahahahaha I'm an idiot.

Remind me to tell you some time what I thought the lyrics to "Landslide" were.

5 comments:

Becs said...

Ah. These are called "Mondegreens" and they go back for centuries. My favorite among the people I know was the daft wife of a friend who thought "turning cartwheels 'cross the floor" in "A Whiter Shade of Pale" was "sliding concrete cross the floor."

There are books about them, the first one is "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."

There goes the day.

Birdie said...

Ha ha! I love it! I have done the same thing many, many times. And now I want to to know your version of Landslide.

rockygrace said...

Becs, why are they called "Mondegreens"? What's a Mondegreen?

and okay, Birdie, since you asked ... when she sings "time makes you bolder", I thought she was singing "time ages boulders". *cringes*

James P. said...

In your defense, time may very well age boulders....giving them that popular antiqued splotchy look. Ginny F.

rockygrace said...

Ha, Ginny F., thanks for the save!