Saturday, June 02, 2012

... and then I forgot about my ceiling fans

First off, scroll down to view my latest adventure in stupidity.

So! After illustrating yet again what a Village Idiot I am, I got the new AC unit home before my friends came over to help with the install, i.e., do all the work while I stood around helplessly.

And at one point one of my friends mentioned how they have a ceiling fan that helps on hot days. And a little something *clicked over* in my mind, and I thought, "oh yeah ... I have ceiling fans."

Because I do. I have one in the living room, and one in each of the bedrooms. Which I had totally forgotten about.

In my defense (and I wish I had a buck for every time I've used that phrase - I shoulda just named this thing "In my defense"), I actually TRIED to use the ceiling fans, back when I first moved in, and The Runt and Little Girl FREAKED. They acted like they were being strafed by enemy aircraft every time I turned the fans on. So I just ... forgot about the fans.

Oh! And let's not forget that the ceilings in my house are disgusting old ugly-ass acoustic tile which I cannot afford to replace, so I try not to look up, which may have contributed to my forgetting about the ceiling fans. Hmmm ... the ceiling fans which also have LIGHTS in them which I turn on and off EVERY DAY ... okay, forget that argument.

So! I had been reminded that I have ceiling fans. And I decided to do a little experiment. Waiting until all three cats were in the same room, I turned on one of the fans, staying clear of the exit in case they were going to go mental. And ... nothing. As the fan started to turn, the cats glanced up once, and then ... no reaction. Evidently the "freak out at the ceiling fan" reaction was limited to The Runt and Little Girl's family gene pool.

Yay for ceiling fans! I'll bet I'll be using them a lot this summer. Now that I've remembered that I have them.

4 comments:

Becs said...

I know! I had a beautiful white, blue-eyed, non-deaf cat named Pierre who absolutely went insane whenever he saw a ceiling fan on.

Pierre has long since gone to the Bridge and I've moved into a house with ceiling fans, but I never remember to turn them on and I don't use them for lights.

But good for you, you are not stupid, you are not the village idiot. Pierre was.

~~Silk said...

I've never had ceiling fans. But if I did, I'd be tempted to hang "birds" from the tips of the vanes, and pretty soon I wouldn't have ceiling fans any more.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, that's an awesome idea.

Staci said...

I have my moments like that too! I can totally relate. : ) Don’t forget to clean your fans and to check if they are wobbling. If they are, see to it that you screw them tightly.

Staci Severns