Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's all in the execution

For whatever weird reason, I got it in my head that I wanted to make a white cake somehow involving raspberries. As some of you may know, I am NOT a baker. I don't know what's gotten into me lately; first I got conned into making a birthday cake for my nephew-in-law, and then I made the nine-hour jello thing.

So! White cake with raspberries. What I have so far:

1 box white cake mix
1 16-oz tub of raspberries in syrup
1 jar raspberry preserves
1 tub white frosting.

I don't really need to use all of the cake batter; I'll never eat it all. I thought I could just make one layer, 12" x 12", then split the layer and put raspberries and some frosting in between. I was thinking of adding the raspberries to the cake mix, but I'm afraid that will make it tough when it's time to split it, so then I thought maybe I could just put some of the raspberry juice in the cake mix, but that means, of course, that I'll have to reduce some of the other liquid. I'm pretty sure the egg yolks need to stay, so do I need to reduce the oil? The water?

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would substitute the juice for the water or at least some of the water. Keep the egg and the oil. I don't think it would be bad to sprinkle in some of the raspberries from the tub in the mix (drain off the syrup), just as you might sprinkle in raisins for oatmeal cookies. I would probably do one or the other, not both (juice and raspberries), but that's just my personal preference. I think I'd like the cake to stay white and just have a raspberry or two in every bite.

I think it would be yummy (whatever you decide to do with the cake part) to make a mixture that's half frosting and half preserves. And now I'm hungry :)

rockygrace said...

Okay, so sub the juice for the water, NOT the oil or the eggs. Got it.

And a frosting/preserve mix sounds fabulous.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

The raspberry preserves are for between the layers, right? Make the cake, fill with the jelly goo, frost it with the white frosting, and serve it with a fresh raspberry sauce.

I'm not real inventive when it comes to desserts.

Anonymous said...

No suggestions, but it sounds delicious!