Monday, March 16, 2015

Smile! You're on Candid Camera!



Anybody else besides me remember that old TV show?  No?  Okay, moving on ...

I set up the game cam in the foster room this weekend, to get a better bead on Honey.  She is making great progress:  She has started eating more (once I figured out that evidently the magic food for her is Fancy Feast Broths for Cats, which is a looooong way from the Friskies canned I am used to feeding), she will occasionally let me pet her briefly, and she's expressing an interest in toys.  She is still very, VERY vocal, but she doesn't seem quite as distressed as she was a week ago, except she really, really wants out of the foster room.  I have to wonder:  She came from a household of five cats.  Maybe she misses her housemates?   But when I have taken one of my cats in the room for a visit, she hides and howls and yowls, sending my boys fleeing out of the room in fear.

I think there are two possibilities, here.  Either she was never properly socialized as a kitten, or she is just not a real friendly cat.  But if anyone else has suggestions out there, I'm all ears. She's not aggressive at all; she just doesn't quite know how to interact. Or else she just doesn't want to. :)

Like I was saying, I set up the game cam.

She is a pretty girl.  Her fur is actually closer to a tan color than an orange.


She is very, VERY active.  She spends most of the day and night hopping up on to that dresser so she can look out the window.  The only inactive period she really has is during the day, between noon and four p.m., when she snoozes in the closet (her favorite "safe" place).

At first I wasn't sure if she was pregnant at all, because she was eating so little.  But this pic appears to tell a different story:


Yeah, I'm fairly certain that she's knocked up, although it looks like she's got a ways to go.  Easter babies, maybe:


Remember that book?  Salem's Lot? Where the vampire floats up to the little boy's window?  That is what these pics, with her reflection in the window, make me think of:






Unless there really IS a vampire cat floating outside the window, in which case we're all screwed.
 
So!  She's very pretty, she's very active, and I really need to take those Christmas lights down out of the window.  Ha.  Sorry, Honey, I'll get right on that.




She may be getting some company this weekend.  Turns out she has a brother who is a high-functioning wobbly cat, who also needs to be rehomed out of the household where he and Honey were living.  The rescue may be placing him with me, to see if it calms Honey down to have a littermate in the room.  It might work and it might not, but if the rescue wants to give it a try, I'm game. 

Pretty little Honey.  She's a sweet girl.




No comments: