Monday, August 04, 2014

Tinks, Splayed



So!  First off, we had four kitten adoptions on Saturday, including one to the owner of the store where the event was held, which is, evidently, proof that we could indeed sell ice to Eskimos if the situation warranted.

The oddest conversation probably was the one with the woman who proudly told us about her barn cats.  Her many, many, many barn cats.  When we offered her some literature about local low-cost spay/neuter programs, she explained that nononono, she needed to keep her numbers up.  Her ... numbers up?

Seems that if the barn cat population dips too low, the rodent population skyrockets.  I find it hard to believe that the cat population on her farm isn't skyrocketing as well, but then again, she's out in the country.  I would imagine that coyotes, tractors, etc. probably keep the cat pop under control.  I guess?  Anyway, it was my first exposure to the whole cats-as-livestock idea, although if we keep doing events out in the sticks, it probably won't be the last.

I hauled the area rug out of the foster room the other day and took it out back to scrub down.  Tinks was happy to have a new thing to sprawl on:





Have I mentioned before that Tinks is a splayer?  He likes nothing more than to spread out:












Comfy boy.






5 comments:

James P. said...

God forbid this cat should have an uncomfortable moment.....

Serious question: You had said that you couldn't really pick him up....last time he batted your glasses into smithereens.....So, how does one handle a cat like that at the vet? How do they manage?

rockygrace said...

Actually, Tinks does much better at the vet than he does at home ... I think he's intimidated by the dogs, the noise, the metal table ... he behaves himself there. It's just ME he's a snot with ... ha. If I HAVE to handle him (to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet's, for instance), I throw a beach towel over him and scoop him up in the towel.

And I CAN pick him up without using a towel - I just have to be very aware of his movements, or he'll blindside me with a chomp or a paw o' claws. Sometimes I feel like a lion tamer in the circus ...

That said, he IS a sweet cat. He does enjoy being petted (sometimes) (within reason). He just wasn't taken into rescue care young enough to be a truly "friendly" cat. He's certainly come a long, long way from when I first fostered him.

Sorry. Didn't mean to write a book, there.

James P. said...

Thanks.

Also, this is your second circus reference in two days.....must mean something.

rockygrace said...

It means I'm about to run away ... to join the circus. This blog is about to get a WHOLE LOT more interesting. :)

rockygrace said...

Oh, and I forgot to add - my vet's office (and most vet's offices, I would imagine) do have ways to handle true ferals. They use squeeze cages, etc., to treat the animal without anyone getting injured. If you can get the animal there, they can treat it. I was actually talking to a couple at the event last weekend who had a Siamese/Mau mix who was so aggressive at the vet's, the first thing the vet did at every visit was anesthetize. Once the cat was asleep, the visit could proceed. Now THAT'S a bad-ass cat.