Thursday, August 07, 2014

I really should just stay out of current affairs



Lately, I've been seeing a lot of headlines and thinking they look suspiciously like Stephen King book plots.  Ebola, anyone?  And the two health care workers getting evac'd to Atlanta?  "The Stand".  Missing Malaysian jetliner?  "The Langoliers".

Yet another blogger (one of the, "I'm so much more SENSITIVE than the rest of you poor bastids" ones) (see also - Subcategory:  I'm mentally ill and milking it for all it's worth*) has chimed in on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  Siding with Palestine, for what it's worth.  I was kind of surprised that a commenter dared to question her, because she's got some pretty rabid fans, and so when I saw that the first comment was a dissent, I said to myself, "Cue the attack in three ... two ... one ..." and sure enough, the blogger's fan base started piling on.

I will freely admit that I have no idea who is good and who is bad in this particular conflict.  I'm kind of on the, "they're all a bunch of religious fanatic a**holes" side.  But I am getting kind of tired of the attitude in bloglandia where dissent is not tolerated.  As in, you either agree with what I say, or shut the f*ck up.  And UNTIL you shut the f*ck up, my fans and I will make you regret speaking up in the first place.

Eh.  Hive-mind makes for pretty boring blogging. 

About the only thing I do know is that if I lived in Palestine OR Israel, I'd be living someplace else right now.  Hell, I'd flipping crawl out of the country if I had to.  Screw that bomb shelter crap.  I'm OUTTA there.  I wouldn't care if I was leaving a job, a house, relatives.  I wouldn't care if the only thing waiting for me was uncertainty.  F*ck, I wouldn't care if the only thing waiting for me someplace else was a steaming refugee camp or jail or a detention center.  As long as the bombs weren't landing there, I'd be cool with it.  Just get me away from the got-dam bombs, and it's all good. 

So, yeah, I really should just stay out of current affairs.  I'm obviously woefully underinformed and overly opinionated.  So, the stereotypical blogger, pretty much.





* Yeah, I know that's gonna catch me a bunch of sh*t.  I don't care.  I have nothing but respect for people who struggle with mental illness.  Because it IS real, and it IS an illness.  A rat b*stard of an illness.  Where I do have problems, is with bloggers who pull out the Mental Card whenever pageviews drop.  Or when they've got a book to sell.  Cry me a river, Crazy.  We've all got our crosses to bear.  And the incessant "I'm so BRAVE and MIGHTY" crap, especially when it's only pulled out when it can benefit the blogger, gets mighty tiring mighty fast.  Stop milking your pain like it's a f*cking cash cow already.  Oh wait; it IS.  So, yeah, if you can make money offa it, I guess go right ahead.  I dunno. 



4 comments:

~~Silk said...

(Why am I giggling?)

rockygrace said...

Do tell, ~Silk. Do tell.

~~Silk said...

ou know, I haven't found any of that type of blogger these days --- the "I am more interesting and special than any of you, and if you hang around a while, you'll get to participate in my train wreck", the kind who builds up a following of devoted readers who flatter themselves that they are the support and sole saviors of a wonderful person who appreciates them fully. They build a "community" with rules for discourse. Woe be to anyone who steps outside the bounds.

Back a few years ago, I marveled at a few of them. Especially one of them who spun tall easily transparent tales of woe, and how she was bravely plodding along against all odds, and she actually got her followers to send her money, new laptops, all kinds of gifts, including a relatively young used car. Aaaaagh! This is the woman who bragged about her original and fabulous recipe for pumpkin pie, created by herself after much experimentation, and her followers tried it and agreed it was the richest, creamiest ever --- and I'd had my fill of her and pointed out that it was word-for-word the recipe on the Libby's canned pumpkin label --- and I got torn to shreds. Whether I was right or not, according to them, I had no business bursting bubbles. (Shortly after my comment, her blog went private.)

I haven't seen that kind of blogger much lately. I guess they mostly moved to Twitter or Facebook or something. Maybe you could send me some links in a comment on my blog? I'll delete the comment so nobody can blame you.

(Admission: I've had a trainwreck or two, especially along about 2005-2006. "Roman" ring any bells?)

rockygrace said...

I've got a post coming up about bloggers who annoy me. We'll see how many of their peeps come over here to b*tch. It always amazes me when that happens, because they're obviously googling their "heroes" in order to get here.

And no, I don't remember "Roman"! hmmm ...