Monday, August 25, 2014

Summer stroll



Yesterday, I went to the nature preserve for a little walk.



The pond was muddy from all the rain we've gotten lately.

The cattails sure didn't mind the rain:






And the fungi seemed to like it, too:





Mickey Mouse!





I don't know what these berries are:





These either:





The deer can be hard to spot in all the foliage.  Your first hint is usually a blob of brown:





Yep, there she is (if a bit (okay, a LOT) out of focus):





But wait ... she's got babies!





No wonder she's thin - she's feeding twins.  Although by the size of those fawns, they should be just about weaned.

Here's another deer:





Now look around; there's bound to be more:





I was surprised that the buck stayed still - they're usually much more skittish than the females. 





It's always good to get out in the woods.




3 comments:

~~Silk said...

Wow! Either you're the quietest least human stinky person ever, or the deer there are almost tame!

No, I doubt that smelling like kittens helps.

Mama D said...

You're nicer that I am...I see deer and start thinking cussy thoughts about ticks. :(

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, yeah, it's a nature preserve, so the deer know they're safe. They're, like, "neener neener you can't touch us!"

and Mama D, it's kind of ironic that when I see a deer at the preserve, I go, "awwwwww!", and when I see one in my yard, I go, "GOTDAM IT GET OUTTA THE FLOWERS!"