Friday, August 01, 2014

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


The Good:

We had an adoption event last Saturday, and as a result six (!) kittens found new homes.  This is the slow season for adoptions, and so we just keep plugging away, an event every ... blessed ... weekend.  Last week, toward the end of the event (and there is always, ALWAYS, someone who comes in at the tail end - we were there for an extra hour last week thanks to the last-minuters), a woman came in who wanted to adopt two kittens as a surprise for her daughters.  We're not real big on "surprise" adoptions, but we let the woman go ahead, with the promise that if her daughters were less than thrilled with the little surprises, she'd return them (the kittens, not the daughters) to the rescue.  Here is her story of the surprise (and I'm leaving the misspellings in; there's too many to correct 'em all):



"Thank you so much for the two little blessings Ruby and Snowball (for now anyway).I told the girls there was a surprize waiting for them when they got home. So when we got there they were excited to see what it was. I handed each of them a collar (and they at first thought they were braclets) they loved them. Then I gave them each a cat ball toy. They were not as thrilled as they were with the cool new bell braclets but they were greatful. Then I gave then a mouse on a pole each. This caused them to both look at me like I was crazy. Beth said um mom these are cat toys you know that right. I was schocked and said are they really I thought they were really cool batons with mice on them. She clearly does not think I am as funny as I do . I said well I can take them back just go put them in the bathroom in the hallway for now so they don't get lost. confused but happy they walked to the bathroom together and opened the door. As they went to set them on the counter they spotted our new family members. Joyce was excited and happy but Beth actually cried to see them. So I think that kittens number 155 and 160 are not halfway home anymore they are all the way home now."

Cute, right? 

The Bad:

As I was setting up last weekend, a local yahoo walked past the display and loudly proclaimed:  "SOMEbody needs a bag, a box of rocks, and a body of water!  har, har, har!"

No, I did not kick him in the nuts.  He was obviously already genetically challenged enough, and it hardly seemed sporting.

The Ugly:


I make little cat-sized quilts to sell as fundraisers at the events.  They're small, around 20" x 24", and made out of sale fabrics that I pick up at Jo Ann.  Here's one:




That's not a great pic; it's laid out kind of kitty-wampus there on the rug.  Anyway, some of the quilts are patchwork, and some are done with diagonal pieces, and some are done with vertical rows of fabrics.   We sell 'em for five bucks each.  And you would not BELIEVE the number of people who look at the quilts, pick each one up, EXAMINE THE STITCHING, and ponder ponder ponder before finally deciding that no, five bucks is too much to spend.  On a quilt.  A hand-sewn, machine-washable, one-of-a-kind blankie for their kitty.  God.  I'm not THAT bad of a seamstress, for Pete's sake.  Or am I?


So, we've got another event tomorrow, at a new location.  We'll see what happens ...


 










4 comments:

~~Silk said...

I doubt that the "ugly"s were examining stitches and rejecting your work. I suspect they were confirming whether or not they could make it themselves.

Personally, though, I figure it would take me several hours, what with the shopping, cutting, stitching, so I'd find $5 more than reasonable.

~~Silk said...

Oops - I mean better than reasonable, uh, very reasonable. Man, it's getting harder and harder to talk.

fmcgmccllc said...

People are cheap. A friend is having a garage sale and I am helping out, I am not taking anything there because I am not gonna haggle over a used yoga mat. I give my stuff to charity and let someone else haggle.

rockygrace said...

Ha, ~~Silk, I got it.

and fmcetc., yep, people ARE cheap. I have some very vivid garage sale memories myself that can confirm that.