Thursday, March 06, 2014

Th'ufferin' Th'uccotash!



Okay, first off, when I left the house this morning, it was five below.  Tuesday?  Seven below.

Dear Mother Nature:  CUT THE SH*T.  It's March, for Pete's sake.

You know, I consider myself tough, but this weather is going to break me.  I didn't sign up for this.

Oh, and speaking of tough, is anybody else watching that Nat Geo show, "Life Below Zero"?  There's this woman on there, Sue, who lives, like, two hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle.  Alone.  She once lay injured after a grizzly attack for ten days before somebody found her.  She swears like a sailor and drinks scotch and smokes cigars and I'm pretty sure I want to marry her, except then I'd have to move north of the Arctic Circle, so f*ck that sh*t.


Anyway! When I was grocery shopping last weekend, I saw bags of succotash in the frozen veggie section.  The pic on the package showed lima beans and corn.

Really?  I thought.  I'd never actually given succotash much thought, but I thought it was like ... grits?  Or hash browns made of vegetables?

Yeah, I don't get out much.

Anyway, I bought a package of succotash, took it home, opened it up, and

yep.

Lima beans and corn.

Tasty enough, but somehow not as exotic as I'd always pictured it.

If you guys know of any foods that I may have missed and should give a try, please let me know.  I'll consider it my Endless Winter of 2014 Culinary Enlightenment Project.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most vegetables, by themselves, don't contain all of the essential amino acids needed by the body for production of proteins. Lima beans and corn served together solve that problem and one can get all of the essential amino acids by eating them together - pretty clever of someone's forebear :-)
Kris

~~Silk said...

The frozen succotash with just lima beans and corn is just the base. You should add chopped tomatoes (canned is ok) and chopped green and/or red sweet peppers and onion, and saute in a frying pan with butter until the onion is soft.

spiffikins said...

hah! I don't know what I thought succotash was either - but I remember doing the same as you did - and learning about it by seeing it in the frozen food aisle!

I do not enjoy lima beans in any way though, so I didn't buy any and still have not ever tried succotash.

rockygrace said...

Kris, you mean I'm eating *gasp* HEALTHY?! cooooool ...

~~Silk, that sounds pretty good. It'd have to be fresh tomatoes - canned tomatoes are just no.

and spiffikins, I'm glad I'm not alone in the not-knowing. I wish I knew what OTHER things I didn't know. Oh wait, that made NO SENSE.

James P. said...

I wonder if you were confusing succotash with scrapple, which is a disgusting combo of pork tidbits with corn meal or some other starchy stuff.
Guessing that Spiffkins will not be attending the Cape May, NJ, annual Lima Bean Festival. Not making that up.
Ginny

James P. said...

Sorry, that was "Spiffikins", not Spiffkins!
And speaking of food, have been wondering whether you have brought home a rotisserie chicken since the cat count swelled to five.......Seems that would leave you licking the droplets inside the container for your share.

~~Silk said...

If you ever saw what goes into scrapple, you'd never eat it. It's hard to recommend a food for you to try, since we don't know what you don't know. Like, it would never have occurred to me to recommend succotash to you, since I didn't know you didn't know it.

Um, ever try mustard (plain yellow) on pizza? Pretty good, actually. Or potato or sweet potato perogies fried and heaped with caramelized onions? Vanilla or pecan ice cream eaten using those straight skinny pretzels to scoop it up chopstick-style? Boiled eggs steeped for a few days in the juice left over from those pickled beets you finished off two days ago?

~~Silk said...

"Nutritional yeast" (it'll say that on the jar) sprinkled on popcorn.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, were you raised in a third-world country or something?

KIDDING I am kidding

Seriously, I've never even HEARD of that stuff. Well, except for perogies, of course. And you had to go and mention beets *shudder* ...

and Ginny, isn't scrapple in the same general "fear factor" category as haggis?

and yes, it is quite ... challenging to bring a rotisserie chicken into the house.