Friday, March 14, 2014

Survey SAYS ...



Okay, first off, scroll down to the leggings post so you have some idea what I'm talking about.



Now!  Here is something that never even occurred to me until this afternoon:  Am I too old for leggings?

Here's why I ask.  I had some errands to run for work this afternoon, errands that took me downtown.  Me and my leggings.  Me and my legggggggings, strolling down the avenue ...

Okay, THAT little reference just dated me, didn't it?

So!  I'm downtown.  First off, a young woman yells across the street to me, "I love your outfit!"

Was I pleased?  Why yes, yes I was.  Validation!

But then, I had to go into a meeting with my company's insurance broker, who said, "My daughter would love those leggings!"

Um ... this insurance broker is a woman of approximately my age.  While the comment didn't seem snarky, did it imply that there is some unwritten fashion rule of which I am in violation, wearing leggings after fifty?  Like, they would be fine for her daughter, but not for ancient me?

I mean, frankly,  I don't really care.  I loooove those leggings.  I don't care if it's forbidden, I'm going to keep wearing them.  (UNDER skirts. or dresses.)  I may even ... gasp ... go buy more.  And it's not like I'm going to start wearing Hello Kitty pants or something.

But if I'm violating some Fashion Law, here, I'd appreciate it if someone would fill me in.

And!  After that last post and the comments, I've done some thinking, and I think that leggings pass muster if they are worn UNDER something that covers up (a) your butt, and (b) your ... frontal area. ( I mean, OBVIOUSLY I'm going to be covering up much MORE than that, but I can safely say that butt/front is a minimum for appropriate coverage.  In The World According To Me.)

Oh, but wait ... I just saw a pic on line of a girl wearing leggings under short-shorts.

NONONONONONO

I'm never gonna understand leggings, am I?


10 comments:

bridgett said...

I don't think there's an age limit on wearing what makes you happy.

the queen said...

I think you'll be safe as long as the leggings are the bright spot in an otherwise decorous outfit. I think the plain skirt I saw was appropriate, but leggings with a striped and glittery top that was also youthful would be over the line, and bad taste at any age. I sound so old. You have great legs, that's why you should wear leggings.

Domestic Kate said...

Well, I spend a good part of my days around college-aged people, so my fashion compass might be distorted, but here's what I think.

1. Leggings in general are not age-restrictive.
2. Leggings are currently very in which means that a lot of teens and 20-somethings are wearing them, so that might give people the impression that they are just for the younger folks.
3. You don't need my permission, but I agree--if you like 'em, wear 'em.
4. I also agree that leggings should only be worn with something that covers up the bathing suit area. The exception would be for working out.

But. Let's just make this abundantly clear: people need to know if they're wearing tights or leggings. There is an enormous difference. Am I the only one who bends over and checks these things?

Becs said...

You've got the legs for them. Wear them and be happy.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for reassuring me, guys.

and Kate, exactly. I mean, leggings alone are ick, but TIGHTS alone? Taking it to a whole nother level, right there. (I recall someone saying, "If they've got a cotton crotch panel, THEY'RE NOT LEGGINGS." Ha.)

There are also some people on the internet saying that leggings are just "tight pants", and therefore, are a-ok to wear alone. I will argue against THAT particular angle all day long.

fmcgmccllc said...

Thank you for addressing this issue. I am over 50 and wear leggings. Under what could be considered very long tops. And boots, because I think that on me leggings look stupid in shoes. But that is just me and my hang up. My pet peeve, and in assembly plants I see it all day every day, is that when you wear tights and/or leggings for pants not only is it ugly and not discreet . . . I have to watch your ass jiggle and jangle with every step that is taken. I do not like watching fat jiggle all day long. And also have to notice that someone is not wearing underpanties. Come on, this is way too much for me to know about anyone.

rockygrace said...

fmcetc., yay! Another over-50 leggings wearer.

And yeah, the gap between the top of the shoes and the bottom of the leggings vexes me, also. Right now I'm solving it by adding anklets, which may or may not be wise, fashionably, but I am bound and determined to make that pair of floral-patterned leggings work for me somehow, so there ya go.

When it comes down to it, I have two wishes. (a) to wear things that I enjoy wearing, while also (b) avoiding comparisons to a circus clown. But of course, that's just me.

Domestic Kate said...

Today I saw a woman who looked to be 65+ wearing leggings that were nearly identical your floral pattern but with a red background. Take that!

fmcgmccllc said...

When researching how to deal with the ankle "problem" I found quite a few photo shots of slouchy socks and leg warmers. I would try them both if I could find them for a decent price. Not ready to spend much money on this look.

rockygrace said...

Kate, it's good to know I am not alone.

And fmcetc., to me, leg warmers = Jane Fonda workout. Not that there's anything wrong with that.