Friday, March 28, 2014

Gowanus


Okay, so, let's go back to the Johnson Museum.  Heh.

Here's a painting named Gowanus, after the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn.  I dunno - if I was Brooklyn I'd be kind of pissed.  Can you spot the cat?





Here's a close-up:




Here - have a statue:




This is a carved oil lamp:







I always wonder how they had the time to make stuff like this, in between trying to find food and avoid plagues and fight their enemies and stuff.  I guess they had people who were assigned to create the art?  Pretty sweet job.  Unless you, like, pissed off your benefactor and got beheaded or something.  "That sculpture looks NOTHING like my concubine!  Off with your head!"

 In one room of the museum, there was an interactive exhibit where you held clear plates over openings of light to watch movies about endangered species.  And there was another exhibit where they were showing a short film about sulfur miners in ... Peru, I think.  These dudes would go down INTO a volcano to scrape the sulfur off the walls. 

Part of the museum was closed off for construction, so I'll have to head back in a couple of months to see what I missed.

And the soft-serve stands along the route ought to be open by then.  That'll justify a trip, right there.







4 comments:

Becs said...

I think the people along the Gowanus are well aware of how awful it is. And they keep asking for a clean up but it never gets funded.

James P. said...

Should we be looking for you to have a show on the History Channel where you tour weirdo museums and give viewers the unique "Rocky" perspective on the exhibits? Will they need to have the "BLEEP!" handy when they film you?

James P. said...

P.S. By "soft-serve stands", do you mean Dairy Queen?...........Ginny

rockygrace said...

Becs, that ain't right.

and Ginny, surprisingly, I don't swear a lot in real life. Not so anyone can hear it, anyway. Ha.

and there ARE NO Dairy Queens around here! Maybe because ice-cream weather lasts around two weeks. However, plenty of mom-and-pops have sprung up to fill the void.

But now that I think about it, there USED to be a DQ here. It was on State Street. When my sister Ditz and I were young, we would laugh ourselves silly ordering "Brazier Burgers", which we insisted on calling "brassiere burgers". Yeah, it didn't take much to amuse us.