Monday, March 24, 2014

I'll have you know that it's the HERBERT F. Johnson Museum. Sheesh.




I trekked up to Ithaca Saturday - I was jonesing for a visit to the Johnson Museum (heh).

Some of the classical exhibits were under renovation, so I hit up some of the newer stuff.



Ummmm ... okay?  That thing hanging in the middle there is supposed to represent the Everglades, all burnt out.  Got it. 

This next painting was actually created in the 1800s (if I remember correctly), but it's pretty creepy all the same:



No, I wasn't drunk.  I have no idea why half these shots are so skewed.  It's probably because even though photography is allowed in most of the museum, I always get nervous that a guard is going to come yell at me, so I try to be quick with the pics.

Of course, I had to go up to the fifth floor for the view.



Can you spot the student tour group in this next pic?  Ah, to be young and smart and have parents who can afford to send you to Cornell:



Finally, this one has to go in the "But is it art?" category:



It's the trunk and roots of a giant tree.  The artist made his student interns spend months cleaning all the dirt and crap out of it, then he shellacked the whole thing - voila! - and probably sold it to the museum for a boatload of bucks.  Smart guy.

I've gotta figure out how to get in on that action.




4 comments:

Becs said...

I saw a guy attack a fire ant hole in Florida with melted aluminum, for which I thank him. Then he waited a bit, shoveled back the dirt back from the solidified aluminum, brushed it up and called it Art. I'm calling it an ingenious way of dealing with *$*%* fire ants.

rockygrace said...

Becs, why aluminum? Is it fire ant kryptonite, or something?

James P. said...

I suspect Herbert would be rollin' over in his grave if he were able to see the fine tree root in front of his museum........Ginny

rockygrace said...

Ginny, you're probably right.