Wednesday, February 12, 2014

If I wanted to live in Siberia, I'd f*cking well move there.




Dudes.  Duuuuudes.  I just can't with this weather anymore.

When I got up at six this morning, it was eighteen below in my backyard.

I actually woke up at five, and listened to my furnace running for an hour, because I wasn't sure if it could handle the predicted cold.  When I bought the house, almost five years ago, I soon discovered that the super-duper, high-efficiency, gigantic furnace was actually too big for the house, and thus incapable of running for more than about thirty seconds before choking itself off.  (Insert *choking itself off* jokes here.  Go ahead.  Is fun.)

Five years, three HVAC techs, and many dollars in repairs later, the furnace still struggles to keep up on cold days.  Throw in eighteen below, and you've got one furnace, three space heaters (including one in the marginally-heated garage to keep the pipes from freezing), and one knock-off Edenpure all going full blast, along with one anxious homeowner who wakes up every time the furnace kicks on, i.e., every thirty seconds.

And by the time I left for work?  It had dropped to twenty below.

Let's see.  In the last five days, we have had morning lows of minus 10 (Saturday), minus 3 (Sunday) minus 4 (Monday), minus fourteen (yesterday), and the ding-dong bell ringer of twenty f*cking below, this morning.

Will someone send me a plane ticket, please?  I would gladly go to HELL right now, if it was warmer.

*sob*




10 comments:

James P. said...

Does your little Herd O' Cats go outside through the pet door when it is that cold????? Do they go out and immediately want back in, as though you tricked them?

Domestic Kate said...

If I had any money I'd buy you a plane ticket here! Definitely not hell. You can always count on us to be having different weather than everyone else.

~~Silk said...

Those temperatures are not unusual where you live, but it's supposed to happen OCCASIONALLY, in short bursts, maybe once or twice a winter, not day after day after day after day after...brrrrr.

Poor Baby. Tell your boss you want time and a half for even coming in. Beyond the call of duty and all that.

fmcgmccllc said...

Although not as bad off as you are, yesterday I moved the car into the sunlight to get the last of the freeze off. Defroster would not work. It was 4 above. Next week I will have to go to work in the dark so will have to go back to budgeting the half hour to clean off the car, heat it up, heat me up and then leave. Yes, I have a garage but there is no room to fit in a car.

rockygrace said...

Ginny, yesterday morning, Ponyboy ventured out for about .02 seconds, then zoomed back in shaking his head, all, "What fresh hell is THIS?" The litterboxes have been seeing heavy usage.

Kate, enjoy your weather. Compounding my problem is the fact that I couldn't leave if I wanted to, what with all the cancelled flights.

and ~~Silk, exactly. There are some winters when we only go below zero once or twice. Ah, the good old days ...

fmcetc., a lot of the people in my neighborhood converted their garages into spare bedrooms. I bet they're regretting that along about now ...

But on the PLUS side, it was seventeen degrees this morning! 17 POSITIVE degrees! Woo-hoo! Unfortunately, we are expecting eight to twelve inches of snow.

Shoot me now.


~~Silk said...

Yeah, the temp always rises just before snow. Mother nature is a flirtatious slut.

~~Silk said...

Combat pay!

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I'd be amenable to combat pay.

James P. said...

OK, here's the deal: I'll plow up from Virginia in the van, pick up Silk and Becs, then you. Then we'll stop in Motor City for fmcgmccllc and whoever else I forgot and we'll ALL road trip to Kate's to thaw. Rule 1: No singing of 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall.....It'll be difficult enough with 49 cats in the van......Ginny

rockygrace said...

Ginny, you got yourself a deal!