Friday, October 18, 2013

Yeah, that's feckin' bullsh*t



"Everything happens for a reason!," I heard somebody chirp today, and man, I must be gettin' my postal on, because it just about made me livid.

NOTHING happens for a reason.  Everything is random, and planes drop from the sky, and sometimes it snows in May, and maybe you fall ridiculously, madly in love with someone whom by all rights you never should have met, and none of it happens to provide some "reason" for something else to occur.

Bah. 

Let's see ... other platitudes I do not like, but have been known to spout at random if I think it will make someone else feel better:

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."  Nope.  Sometimes it just reduces you to a shell of your former self for the rest of your days.

"When a door closes, somewhere a window opens."  Nope.  Sometimes your options just got reduced by one.

"It's always darkest before the dawn."  Except when dawn never comes at all, of course.

Oh, man, I could go on.  Oddly, thinking of this kind of thing actually cheers me up.

How about you?  Got any hated platitudes?  Let's be grumpy together.



8 comments:

~~Silk said...

A friend and I are looking at/talking about something awful.

Me: "Weeellll, you know what they always say."
She: "No, what do they always say?"
Me: "I don't know, but there's always something they say...."
She: "Oh, yeah. That."

Usually gets a rueful laugh.

Domestic Kate said...

Not sure if this qualifies as a platitude, but, "It is what it is." Really? Are you sure?

I also hate the "reason" one. It reeks of religion, and nothing's worse than a stinky religion.

Becs said...

I'm with Domestic Kate. What? You mean A = A and not A = B? How freakin' profound.

~~Silk said...

I thought of one! Not exactly a platitude, but close enough. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Nah, sometimes it gets replaced.

rockygrace said...

I actually kind of like "It is what it is". It seems like a nicer way of saying, "Just DEAL with it, sugar."

But yeah, it's kind of a "duh" statement.

~~Silk, yeah, "sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the axe" is what I like to keep in mind when I'm considering bitching about something at work. See also: "Is this the hill you want to die on?"

Anonymous said...

I hate "It's never too late to be what you want to be." Yes. Yes, by God, sometimes it is. I'm pushing 50; I'm not going to be the prima ballerina for the New York City Ballet. The schoolbus has already come and gone on many other things as well. Dealing with the reality of missed opportunities is part of the process of discovering new ones. -- bridgett

rockygrace said...

You are absolutely right, bridgett.

Sure, Grandma Moses didn't start painting until her seventies, but let's fact it - she wasn't churning out Rembrandts.

rockygrace said...

err, I meant "face it".