Sunday, October 13, 2013

Decisions, Decisions

So!  Yesterday was my fateful meeting with Cinnamon at the dealership.

Cinnamon was very nice and helpful, and I feel bad now for thinking of her as a stripper.  Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

Three hours at a car dealership is not exactly my idea of a good time, but I test-drove lots of cars, and at least found out what I DIDN'T want.

I need a hatchback, because of the hauling  I do for the rescues.  I started with a Chevy Aveo, which was waaaay too small.  Next up was the Chevy Sonic, which was too rattle-y.  And there was some weird vibration in the engine, and the check engine light was on when I got in the car, which ... no.

Cinnamon actually steered me away from the Dodge Caliber SXT - she said in her experience, they're kind of spotty, repair-wise.

The Mazda2 Sport was too small,  and the Nissan Versa had too many miles for the price.

And then we got to the Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS.  This is a wagon, very similar to my  Kia Rondo.  The one they have on hand is a 2012, and here's the kicker:  It only has 15,000 miles on it.  It's practically a new car.

Cons?  It's more than I want to spend.  I was looking in  the 12K range, and this one comes in at 16K.  I may have some wiggle room, there, because the book  value on it is between 14.5 and 15.5, so I might be able to talk the dealer down on the price a little.  Either that, or get them to come up on the trade-in on my Kia.  They're offering 5,150, which is a little on the low end.  Then again, I knew not replacing the timing belt would come back to bite me in  the butt. 

Let's see, we're doing  cons.  Because I still owe 1,800 on the Kia, that's gonna cut into my trade-in.  Instead of having $118 monthly payments for the next eighteen months, I'd go up to $225 monthly payments for the next five years, depending on how much cash I  bring in.

On the other hand,  I really doubt that the Kia is going to make in another eighteen  months.  It's only five years old, 79,000 miles, but I've had  an ongoing problem with the heating system, the car clunks like a motherf*cker (that's normal for this car, the garage told me.  "It's probably a loose strut plate."), and now it stalls out and the check  engine light comes on every time I put gas in it.  BIG PROBLEM, and the computer is  coding with an emissions problem, which could be nothing, or it could be several hundred dollars.  If I hang onto this thing, I'm gonna have to dump some serious money into it.  So we're looking a possibly spending a grand or so (and that's not including the pending timing belt), to hang onto the car and those $118 payments. 

Pros?  With the Hyundai, I'll have a large chunk of the three-year, 36,000 mile warranty to play with.  I don't put a whole lot of miles on my cars, so even five years from now, when the car is six years old, it'll only have 65,000 miles or so on it. And it'll be paid off then.  It gets better mileage than my Kia, but then again, that's partly because it's only a four-cylinder, versus six on the Kia.

Oh, but another con is going to be the same problem I had with the Kia - It's an import, so there's gonna be a three-day wait for any repair parts.  

I dunno.  I'm looking at substantially increasing my monthly payment, in order to get out of a bad car and into a newer car.  Can I afford it?  Well, sure, I can, but a question is whether I WANT to spend that money on  a car.

Dear reader, what is your advice?  Have you ever owned a Hyundai?  Do you regret your car payments?  Enquiring minds want to know.






7 comments:

~~Silk said...

Based on nothing whatsoever (that's how much credibility to give it), it sounds to me like the Kia problem might turn out to be a computer problem, which gets horribly expensive because service folks want to fix the symptoms, and seem afraid to even consider fixing the computer. That near-random stalling and random sensor freaking is what started the $6K odyssey with my van.

Anyway, the Hyundai sounds really good, the price is fair, and the only complaints I've heard from Hyundai owners had more to do with the incompetent dealership service people than with the car, so it really comes down to money. And who would end up servicing it.

Good luck.

(Ask yourself - if you DIDN'T snap it up, how hard would you be kicking yourself next month?)

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, how hard I'd be kicking myself would depend on how much I have to dump into the Kia.

Once a car starts becoming unreliable (i.e., STALLING AT GAS STATIONS), that tends to be when I pull the plug. This may sound old-fashioned, but as a single woman, the LAST thing I need is to be stranded someplace.

If I toss a ton of cash in as the downpayment, which I can do because right now I just happen to have some cash sitting in a savings account getting, like, zero interest (STUPID), I can get the payments down quite a bit. Which may be what I end up doing.

Thanks for the advice! It is appreciated. Anybody else wanna chime in?

Becs said...

The single woman defense is absolutely valid.

So is the extra feeling of general security.

It sucks that you would still be paying of the Kia but it won't be for that long.

Although I usually say getting a car repaired is cheaper than a car payment, I think you need the knowledge that your car can get you from Point A to Point B safely and with as little hassle as possible.

fmcgmccllc said...

Well you gotta dump the Kia, no question. The Hyundai doesn't sound bad and I have heard they have improved from the past. The warranty is a big plus, but check exactly what it covers. Is this an A lot, do they also sell new cars? Usually cars on an A lot are better bets-if they get a crap car they sell/send it to the B lots.

rockygrace said...

Becs, I'm just gonna pay off the Kia, or let the dealership do it and deduct it from my trade-in. Done and done.

And fmcetc., I should get the remainder of a 3 year/36K bumper-to-bumper; I'll look into that. And they sell new cars, too - thanks for the pro tip!

~~Silk said...

Yeah, B-lot cars are often auction cars, and you have to watch out for cars that have been in accidents or floods, etc.

Do you plan to "have your own mechanic check it out"? That's the perennial recommendation, but I've never figured out how to actually make that happen.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I probably should have my guys check it out, but with so much left on the warranty (and a clean CarFax), I probably won't.