Monday, October 07, 2013

Caterpillarpalooza

When I was up at State Park the other weekend, it must have been Homecoming Weekend for the caterpillars, because they were all on the move.

There were woolly bear caterpillars:





And white caterpillars:




(and let me tell you, that white dude was beatin' feet.  He was one speedy guy.)

And yellow caterpillars:





Oh!  And let's not forget the turtle!





As soon as he saw me, he tucked in, but once I walked a little ways away, he started moving again.

And there was a green heron, hunting frogs:





See him, there on the branch?

Everybody's on the move!







2 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

love the turtle

rockygrace said...

Tails, back when I was a kid, they used to sell little fifty-cent-piece-sized turtles in Woolworth's. You could buy a little plastic container to keep them in - the container was shaped like a moat, with a little plastic island with a little plastic palm tree in the center. I LOVED those turtles, even if the water did start to stink if you didn't clean it every day. I think that started my turtle obsession, which continues to this day.

A few years back, there were a couple of news articles about how they were going to bring the teeny turtles back (evidently, the risk of salmonella put the kibosh on the whole operation back in the seventies), but I guess it never panned out. I do remember reading about one Woolworth's turtle who lived into his thirties.

Aren't you glad you asked? Oh wait, you didn't ...

:)