Friday, December 16, 2011

Meet the new kids ...

... who finally came out from under the bed in the spare room. And are now driving me crazy.

Here is Romeo*:






And here is Mouse:




Doesn't Mouse look like a chunkier version of Dumplin'?

And speaking of chunky, it is a mystery to me how these kittens, rescued ferals, came to me as candidates for Weight Watchers. I mean, I know a kind lady was feeding their colony, but what the heck was she feeding them, Twinkies and steroids? And yes, they have been wormed, so it's not worm-weight. Did I just squick you out? Sorry. You would be amazed at the amount of worms one kitty-belly can hold. Whoops - sorry again.



Look at those fat faces! Look at those big necks! If you look at them from above, it's like looking at the freaking Goodyear Blimp. Blimp. That's what they should have been named: Blimp and Zeppelin. Geez. Needless to say, they are on diets. RockyCat's Kitty Weight Loss Camp diet. No treats for you! Okay, maybe a leeetle one. Now, on to the exercise machines!


In the last week, they have friendlied-up sufficiently so that they will be going to an adoption event tomorrow. And you know what finally turned the tide? Toys. I started out with the "good" toys, the battery-operated ones that spin around and squeak and move, in the spare room where the kittens were hiding. A couple of days after they started venturing out from under the bed to play, I moved the toys into the hallway. Then into the far end of the living room. Then right in the middle of the living room, so if they wanted to play with the awesome toys, they had to tolerate my presence. And petting. And it worked!


Ha. All it took was an Undercover Mouse, and they broke. Patsies.


So anyway, wish us luck for tomorrow! And let's all hope that nobody gets food poisoning from the cupcakes I made for the bake sale.





* I DID NOT NAME THESE KITTENS. I am NOT the one giving the kittens these horrible, awful names, I SWEAR TO YOU. It is not I.

10 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

Mouse is SO cute!!!!! Good luck tomorrow and here's to not poisoning any one. THAT, btw, is still on my list of things to do once I visit. Bake a cake, not poisoning any one. :o)

rockygrace said...

Man, I could sure use your culinary skills right about now ...

Badass Nature Girl said...

I'll give you a crash course...no meltdowns allowed.

rockygrace said...

And oh man, the whole reason I ended up baking cupcakes was because I WAS just going to use a gift card I got from Panera (whole nother story, right there) to BUY some cookies for the bake sale, but when I GOT to Panera, cookies were two bucks a pop! WTF, Panera? Who the hell can afford two-dollar cookies? What are they made out of, crack?

Badass Nature Girl said...

LOL, I love Panera, but don't eat there as often as I'd like. Numerous reasons for that. You'll have to fill me on the Panera Gift card story!

rockygrace said...

I'll try to get the Panera gift card story up, but with all the crazy crap happening in my life right now, that's just gonna have to take a number and get in line. :)

Badass Nature Girl said...

Understood...and I'll be showing Jacob the kitty pictures!

Anonymous said...

I don't think Romeo's a bad name, but it does seem a little odd to name a cat Mouse. Sometimes I think people at the shelter must get tired of the same old names. How many Mittens can one shelter have anyway? :) My cats always end up getting called other things anyway--depending on my mood.

rockygrace said...

Yeah, Kate, both The Runt and Little Girl had about fifteen nicknames each.

Anonymous said...

Kira = Baby, Noodle, Skinny Minnie (before her more recent weight gain), sweetie, honey, Kirita, Shakira, Mama, Mimi...it's amazing she has any idea I'm talking to her.