Thursday, December 08, 2011

The hits just keep on comin'

This past summer, my brother's wife was diagnosed with lung cancer. She started treatment up here, and then they went back home to Florida where she continued treatment. She was responding well, and getting ready for a break from the chemo.

On Tuesday, I got an email from my brother titled "Cancer Update". And you know how there are some emails you just don't want to open? The ones where it's hard to click on?

Yeah.

My brother has been diagnosed with throat cancer.

Shit.

This good, fine, funny, gentle man has been diagnosed with cancer.

They are hopeful that it's curable, but the treatment is going to be ... not pleasant. Thirty-three consecutive sessions of radiation therapy.

The kicker, of course, is that after being a life-long smoker, he quit. Over two years ago. It wasn't soon enough.

You know, I always had a laissez-faire attitude about smoking. Hell, I did it myself, for almost thirty years. But now? No. This is too hard. It affects too many people. There are no benefits.

Shit.

5 comments:

Shalini said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so, so sorry.

Badass Nature Girl said...

I'm so, very sorry RG! Even though the treatments will be hard, I hope that the end result will be worth it.

Zella said...

I'm so sorry ! All I can say is, hopefully the treatment will work.

Quit smoking myself in 2000, but have been smoking again a little bit this autumn...a social thing, a thing I think I "need" during stressful times. Not anymore.

Hang in there, thinking of you and yours.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your brother. I wish him well.

rockygrace said...

Thanks, guys. It's just a sucky situation.