Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Movie Review - "Wall-E"

I don't usually care for animation, but everybody raved about "Wall-E" so much that I finally went ahead and Netflixed it, only to discover that .......... I don't care for animation.


I'm sure everybody in the free world's already seen this one, so I don't need to recap the movie. I enjoyed the first twenty minutes or so, while he was still on earth, but once they got to the spaceship, it seemed like the animators were just trying to cram as much as they possibly could into every cel.


What can I say - I don't care for animation. Maybe it's all the thousands of hours of Saturday morning cartoons I watched as a kid - I burned out. Oh, and does anybody else remember when Saturday morning was the only time cartoons were on (well, except for The Flintstones, who were on in prime time, if I remember correctly)?

5 comments:

listie said...

No, I haven't seen it either. And, like you, I don't rush out to see animated films (but, then, I haven't seen Harry Potter either).

And, yes, I do remember when cartoons were a Saturday morning ritual and when the Flintstones, being in prime time, were a bold departure from the usual television schedule.

rockygrace said...

Remember the theme song?

"Flintstones, MEET the Flintstones, they're a modern stone-age family ......."

If only I remembered algebra that well ......

Unknown said...

Nope, haven't seen it yet. Kid went with a group of other children at some birthday party and I just never got around to it.

Anonymous said...

I only saw it because my nephew at Christmas time was going through a Wall E phase, so when the family wasn't doing anything in particular, we'd that in. I ended up watching enough bits and pieces enough times that I think I've seen most of it.

My husband who normally really likes animation didn't want to see it, but we agreed it was cute. I like some animated films--Shrek, Toy Story to name two--but mostly I like real stuff.

I don't remember Flintstones on prime time, but I do remember Bugs Bunny on Saturday morning. And the Pink Panther. And the Muppet Show. Now I don't know what kind of shit they're playing Saturday mornings. It isn't Bugs Bunny.

rockygrace said...

I remember hearing a few years back that the reason they used all that classical/opera music in the Bugs Bunny cartoons was because that was the stuff that wasn't copyrighted, so they didn't have to pay royalties. I know for sure that it was my first exposure to Wagner, etc.