Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Whew!

I had a four-day weekend, and still couldn't get my to-do list whittled down to a reasonable level.

Friday I headed off to Ithaca, with a little bit of trepidation due to the INSANE cost of gas. I really didn't want to put that money in my tank, but I figured if I stayed close to home the rest of the weekend, I could justify the expense. I'm real good at justification; I can justify darn near anything.

So! My first stop was the Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art on the Cornell campus. Their web site advised that admission was free! Unfortunately, their web site did not advise that parking is a buck an hour. Oh well, a couple of bucks is a cheap price for museum admission. (Gah, I'm tired of talking about money. It's just that it seems like all of a sudden, everything costs a lot more than it used to. Another sign of growing old, I am sure.......... oh, and I'm tired of talking about getting old, too. Enough, already.)

So anyways, I had my MapQuest directions to the museum, and I pulled onto the campus, and I promptly got lost. Luckily, there were lots of people to help, because it was GRADUATION WEEKEND, and there were approximately nine kabillion people on campus. So I made my way to the museum, and it was very cool, if small. There was an exhibit of pre-Columbian art which was interesting, and some other neat exhibits.

So after the museum, I wandered around Ithaca for a while, did a little shopping (I love you, Spirit & Kitsch!), and headed back home, with a few more stops on the way. The Hi-Way Dairy Bar is selling soft-serve berry twirl again this year, and oh my God that stuff is good. I got home in the afternoon, realized I had one more errand to run, hopped back in the car, and .......... the car was dead. Deader than a doornail.

Shit! I figured it had to be a loose wire or something, because I was getting no juice at all. No lights, no door chime, no nada. Let me say this: Sometimes it is a very, very good thing to have a mechanic's garage kitty-corner from your house. Especially when you own a Saturn.

SO! Let me give a shout-out to Jerry at the garage, who once again saved my butt. It turned out to be a loose battery connection (which ...... WTF? Has someone been messing with my wiring? Seriously?), fixed with a couple turns of a wrench. Cheapest car repair EVAH.

Ooops ......... I've just written nine million words, and I'm still on Friday. I'll come back in a bit, and see if I can wrap up the rest of the weekend a little more succinctly.

No comments: