Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Momma and Baby Update


Momma and Baby are doing fine. Momma is very small; she's hardly more than a kitten herself. She almost never meows, which surprises me, since Rocky was a meow-er and that's what I was used to, but she does purr on occasion. I don't know how much she had been around people before this, because she's very shy, and when you pick her up, she's all stiff and angle-y, like she doesn't know how to be held. Or maybe she just doesn't want to be held. She doesn't really seem to "get" cat toys, although she does like the catnip pillow. Although she took to the litterbox right away, she flung litter around very enthusiastically at first, as if she had never used one before. Hey, that's ok; that's what vacuum cleaners are for.
'
Momma is interested in the fish tank, and every day when I come home from work I expect to find it on the floor, but so far she has limited herself to watching the fish and sometimes sitting on the coffee table and batting at the tank with her paws. Overall, she is being amazingly good; no overturned houseplants or anything! Momma actually spends about 95% of her time under the couch with Baby, and jeezus, it's gotta be getting boring under there by now. I'd slip her a video game if I thought she'd play it. (If, that is, I had any video games, which I do not, because I am ancient. I would, however, happily buy her a video game, although I imagine that her lack of opposable thumbs might be a problem in that regard.)
'
On Sunday, while I was raking leaves, I happened to look up to my apartment, and Momma was sitting in a windowsill watching me. So I waved to her and called out, "Hey, Momma!", and then looked around to see if any of the neighbors saw me acting like an idiot.
'
Baby is now two and a half weeks old. Her ears have unfolded almost all the way, and while she still mostly crawls instead of walks, she is definitely getting stronger. She can hold her head up and track Momma with her eyes. I had the two of them out on the living room carpet last night, and Baby was crawling all over Momma and batting at Momma's head with her tiny little paws. I defy you to watch that and not go, "Awwwwww!" So, so cute. Instead of meowing, she goes "eeeee eeee EEEEEE", which for some reason cracks me up.
'
So! That's the Momma and Baby update. Oh, and the fish are doing fine, too. Poor fish. I'm afraid I've been giving them short shrift since the cats came to visit. Although I have been doing a fifty-percent water change EVERY SINGLE WEEK since tetrafish.com says I have to. Really? Every single week? But! I did buy a gravel vacuum for, like, seven bucks, and it is a miraculous little tool and also fun to use! Sigh. I guess my life is pretty boring when cleaning the fish tank is exciting.
'
In other news, according to my calendar, today is Administrative Professionals' Day. (And I think I may have put that apostrophe in the wrong place, which is either funny or sad, because I'm a secretary.) So if you work with a secretary or administrative assistant, take her out to lunch for Pete's sake, cause God knows she's earned it.

No comments: