Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Jesus House

Last Friday, the Jesus House caught on fire, and it may have to be demolished. The Jesus House is a house in one of the worst parts of town. Its owner is evidently a very religious man, and he covered the front porch and side of the house in scripture. He also decorated with garlands, fake flowers, and tinsel. Last spring I took a bunch of photos of the house and made them into a collage.

Here's the side porch:



Here's the front porch:



He even painted the bricks in the sidewalk along the side of the building:




Needless to say, I love this house. And I feel so bad for the owner. I hope he had homeowner's insurance so he can afford to buy another house. And I hope he makes it as beautiful and original as this one was.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this house. If you ever get to Atlanta, the High museum has a huge collection of Howard Finster art that you'd probably really enjoy. Finster's house and grounds (Paradise Gardens) is about the only reason to go to Summerville, GA.

rockygrace said...

Howard Finster's stuff is cool - I would love to go see his gardens. I like Henry Darger's work as well. People who create art because they feel like they are driven to, in order to follow a vision or put that vision into a physical form, are fascinating to me. I just love that these people can get totally taken up with their passion.