Friday, November 17, 2006

I Miss My Mom

Part of my horoscope today says, "Your heart sings out, "Hey, Mom, look at me!"". I miss my Mom. I mean, she's still alive, but with the Alzheimer's, it's kind of like having a little kid around. I still share my accomplishments, problems, etc., with her, but she just doesn't understand very much. I mean, of course we still have long conversations, but they're one-sided, because she lacks the faculties to do a back-and-forth chat. Luckily, I'll talk all day, as long as there's someone there to listen. But it's sad not to be able to dish about The Young and The Restless (yes, I admit it, I've been watching Y&R for about 20 years! I even tape it & then watch it when I get home at night! Ay, Caramba!). It is just terribly, terribly sad to watch my Mom deteriorate like this. But I really think it bothers the people around her more than it does her, because she seems happy most of the time. And for some reason, that makes me even sadder.

2 comments:

Lady Liberty said...

My Dad who is in the latter stages of AD lives with me, I care for him. 4 years now!
It's heart-breaking but we have a different relationship and one I've accepted.
He was always a good father. Now it's my turn to make his life as happy and comfortable as possible.

I do understand how trying it is at times. We have to take breaks. It's good for us and them!

Have a good night Rocky!

rockygrace said...

Abby - I feel for you! It's obvious that you love your Dad very much. Four years is a long time, but you seem to be coping very well.