Monday, April 27, 2015

"Oh, I WALK THESE STREETS ...



... A loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps, because I might not make it back ... I've been everywhere (oooohh-ooooooh) and I'm standin' tall ... I've seen a million faces, and I've ROCKED THEM ALL."

Courtesy Bon Jovi, "Dead or Alive".

I got a phone call from the local police department on Friday night.  A very nice officer asked me if I was aware that there was an active subpoena out for me.

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Guys.  GUYS.  I live a ... boring life.  I do nothing even REMOTELY illegal.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out why I was being subpoena'd. 

The officer must have sense my confusion, because I could hear him start shuffling papers.  "Hmmm," he said.  "Says here it's for a grand jury appearance.  In the case of ... Mathew J. Murphy."

Ohhhhhh.  NOW I understood.  It was for that car accident back in November.  Evidently that wasn't the FIRST time the guy who ran into me had been caught driving drunk, and now the District Attorney's office is going after him for felony DWI, among other things.

I am supposed to call the district attorney's office this week, to ... discuss the accident?  I don't really know.  I'm just going by what the subpoena tells me.  And then, on Friday, I am to go testify before a grand jury.

Oh lord.  I hope they throw the book at this jerk.  And for the life of me, I canNOT get "Dead or Alive" out of my mind.  Ha.



3 comments:

fmcgmccllc said...

Wow, aren't they supposed to serve you or something. I remember getting served for a traffic accident 40 years ago. Yea, I am not a teenager anymore.

~~Silk said...

Any idea what the charges are? They don't convene a grand jury lightly.

rockygrace said...

fmcetc., yeah, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to serve you. But the cops in this town are incredibly lazy, so it was easier for this officer to call me up and ask me to come down to the station and pick up my own subpoena than it would have been for him to get in his squad car and drive alllllll the way out to my house. *cough*

and ~~Silk, the subpoena doesn't say. But the cop told me it was felony DWI, along with leaving the scene of an accident (and I'm guessing possibly some other things).