Thursday, September 05, 2013

What in the hell IS that?!



This:




I mean, obviously, it's some kind of PLANT.  But it appears to be growing in the air, on the phone pole guy wires.

Here's a closer look at the leaves.  Earlier in the summer, it was greener, but now it's starting to turn red.


It's almost tree-like, in that the stems are woody like branches:


It seems to be coming out of that yellow wire guide, which makes me wonder if enough dirt made its way in to the wire guide over the years to give sustenance to the plant.  I dunno.

Anybody know?

4 comments:

~~Silk said...

Looks like Virginia Creeper. (I'm almost sure.) You'll probably find that the stem comes out of the ground and goes up through that plastic whatsis. Google virginia creeper, then click on "images" at the top.

Robyn said...

~~Silk beat me to it, I was coming to say that it looks like Virginia Creeper to me, too! And I agree, I bet the stem starts at the ground and goes through the wire guide.

Birdie said...

Whatever it is, I like it!

rockygrace said...

Thanks, ~~Silk and Robyn! That's one determined plant - that sleeve guide is about five feet long.

and Birdie, I like it, too - it looks like an alien plant, suspended in air.