Monday, September 23, 2013

I could probably use it for mortar



So!  I tried a new recipe the other night, for hamburger stroganoff.  It sounded quick and easy and ... good.  It was quick and easy.  Good?

Not so much.

I don't mind cooking.  I love to eat; thus, I cook.  But  it seems like I make the same stuff all the damn time.  Chicken.  Pizza (okay, totally take-out on that one.).  Steak.  Chicken. Spaghetti.  Pork.  More chicken. 

And I do not do complicated recipes.  If a recipe has more than, say, eight or ten ingredients?  Nope. I don't have the time, or the inclination, to screw with anything complex.

So when I saw a recipe for hamburger stroganoff that sounded edible, and cheap, and simple, I gave it a whirl.

Which explains why I currently have a big ol' tub of bland, mortar-like substance in my fridge.  I keep opening it up, and looking at it, and sniffing it, hoping it will magically transform into something delicious at some point, but two days in, I'm giving up hope.

Time to call the pizza place.

Anybody got any good recipes?



10 comments:

the queen said...

I just made the most complex soup that took two days and twelve hours of simmering. I was afraid to eat it for a day because if it hadn't worked I would have had to cry.

~~Silk said...

My favorite cookbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Cookbook-Ingredients-Minutes-Paula-Hamilton/dp/0688119271 ("5 in 10", no more than 5 ingredients, max 10 minutes cooking time)

One of my favorite foolproof recipes for ground beef - http://www.food.com/recipe/impossible-cheeseburger-pie-204087

This recipe doesn't mention the tomato slices on top, but they are absolutely necessary, with a little extra cheese on top. This is specially good as reheated leftovers the next day.

~~Silk said...

Oh - forgot - I always beat the eggs really well, and throw an extra egg white in, too. That makes it lighter.

Domestic Kate said...

Well, you know I post recipes that I like a lot, but here's one I'm not sure I posted before (it's vegetarian unless you want to add something like chicken or pork):

Saute some onion and garlic (and celery if you like). Then add a can of diced tomatoes, a couple potatoes, some lentils, and enough water or broth to make it soupy. You can add in whatever spices you like--I usually add some chili powder and cumin. Boil until the lentils and potatoes are soft.

rockygrace said...

queen, TWELVE HOURS of simmering? You deserve an award.

and ~~Silk, what does that dish taste like? Like a cheeseburger, or more like meatloaf?

and Kate, thanks! It's the time of year for soup. With a big ol' slab of French bread with about a half a pound of butter on top ... yum.

~~Silk said...

Not at all like a meatloaf. It's sort of unique - like a cross between quiche and souffle and cheeseburger, depending on proportions of ingredients.

Sometimes I saute a lot of onion with the meat. Sometimes I add more cheese, or more egg. Sometimes when I'm out of fresh tomato, I put dollups of ketchup on top, under more cheese, before baking. Mostly I use a shallow pan, like a pie plate.

I love it, especially the next day. It goes best with salad.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I wonder how it would taste with sausage instead of hamburg?

~~Silk said...

I don't know. Never tried it. I usually use cornbread mix with sausage. Depending on the sausage, the spices might overpower the cheese/egg flavor of the pie. I'd say try it with hamburger first, just to see what you think, then maybe sausage. Bisquick does have an "Impossible Pie" recipe for sausage, but it doesn't include cheese or tomatoes. That recipe seems rather blah. (Search for "Bisquick impossible sausage".)

~~Silk said...

Well, the recipe I had for sausage doesn't use cheese, but it seems like all the ones online do. They all look pretty good, actually.

rockygrace said...

Time to start 'sperimenting ...