Thursday, May 26, 2011

Two movies

Okay, first off, Country Boy won American Idol last night. Whoaaaa, THERE'S a shocker. Soon to be appearing near you in a touring company of "Oklahoma" . I'm pretty sure I'm over that show. ("American Idol", not "Oklahoma", that is.) And everybody's going, "what TOOK you so long?"

So, last Friday, the night before the supposed Rapture, I watched "2012". I mean, it was practically mandatory, right? Nothing like a good end-of-the-world movie to give you survival tips for the apocalypse that is coming the very next day.

Except, (a) the Rapture didn't happen, and (b) the movie sucked.

Did anybody else watch this dog? Holy cow, was it bad. And if John Cusack raked his hands through his hair ONE MORE TIME, I swear I was gonna snatch him bald.

The special effects were cheesy, even on my dinky nineteen-inch TV, and the movie was full of ridiculous sub-plots like that Russian dude with his bratty kids and his trophy wife, although honestly, I couldn't watch enough of it at any given time to really pick up on any of the finer points. I kept switching away, and then after fifteen minutes or so, I'd switch back, thinking maybe a miracle had occurred and the movie had somehow gotten better in the interim, and ... no.

But! Last Sunday, I did watch a movie that was actually really good. "Anvil - The Story of Anvil" originally aired on VH-1, and it's about these dudes in a heavy metal band ("Anvil", duh), who basically had one moment in the sun back in the eighties and have been trying to get back in the spotlight for the past thirty years.

And really, they actually are pretty good musicians, they just can't catch a damn break. And, well, not to be blunt or anything, but ... oh, shit, the lead singer's so damn ugly it kind of hurts to look at him. Then again, Kiss made it big, and they were so flippin' ugly they had to wear disguises on stage. And you've gotta kind of love a guy who wears bondage gear on stage, the way the Anvil singer does.

But you wonder what would push these guys to keep trying, for DECADES, after all signs point to No.

It was kind of depressing, actually, but still really involving. I kind of want them to have big hit song, just to justify thirty years of tilting at windmills.

So! "2012", bad. "Anvil", good.

Seen any good movies lately?

9 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

Gosh, I don't think I've ever heard of Anvil, but you had me at the bondage thing, so I have to go look them up.

We watched Gulliver's Travels with Jack Black, last night with the boys. Super funny in parts, good overall. That reminds me, I have to look up his music......

rockygrace said...

I mean, the dude was straight - I'm not even sure he knew that it WAS bondage gear. It was, like, as if he walked into a leather shop, picked up a piece full of straps and buckles, and said, "Oh! Cool! I'll wear this on stage! It'll look awesome!" without comprehending what the actual purpose of the clothing was.

Kind of like a Grandma thinking that a dildo was a neck massager.

rockygrace said...

not that I'm some kind of expert on bondage gear or anything ....

Badass Nature Girl said...

LMAO, well, straight people use bondage gear as well, but even if not used for what it's intended for, I find it cool looking. I like steampunk too. And hey, that's what a lot of catalogs say those things are!!!! My favorite is the hair dye for the nether region. If I knew I wouldn't react to it, I would totally do that.

rockygrace said...

Hahahahaha, check out the Vermont Country Store catalog some time. It's full of all KINDS of "neck massagers" for the Grandma set.

Badass Nature Girl said...

LOL-SNORT, I get that catalog!!!!! But damn, they're expensive.

Badass Nature Girl said...

Well, I couldn't find any pictures of him in his bondage attire, but I do agree that he's not easy on the eyes. The bald guy was kind of cute, back in the day. Maybe their name has some thing to do with their lack of success? When I hear the word 'anvil', I think of the Looney Tunes/roadrunner. Strange, I know.

Rob said...

I thought the special effects in "2012" were far superior to those in "Attack of the 50 Foot Tall Woman"

rockygrace said...

When I think of "Anvil", I think of The Anvil Chorus. I've been listening to too much damn opera on NPR.

And Rob, way to set the standard low!