Thursday, October 21, 2010

What I did last Saturday

Okay, so the first thing I did last Saturday was drag my butt out of bed and go keep an appointment for a flu shot.

Which, hahahaha is so FUNNY, here I am, half dead* from TMJD and pharyngitis, and I've got to go get a flu shot! Whee!

So THEN, once I was up and out, I felt so damn lousy that I figured I'd do a little shopping. Does that ever happen to you - you feel so crappy that you don't want to go home, because you know that once you do, you'll just lie on the couch and whine and the rest of the day will be shot? No? Just me? Okay then.

ANYWAY, I went to the local "antiques row", except I tend to gravitate more toward the "junk store" end of things, and I found something that is absolutely, totally awesome, which is without a doubt going to be the focus of this week's Freaky Friday.

Now, I should probably interject here that I'm not a compulsive shopper. For one thing, I'm cheap as all get out - I don't even get McDonald's that often because I think it's too pricey. Ninety percent of the stuff I buy comes from thrift stores and junk stores, and I very, very rarely buy anything that costs more than, say, five or ten bucks.

Okay, that said, once I found the awesome thing at the junk store, I was all, like, "I might as well quit now. I just used up all of my shopping mojo; there's no way I'll find anything else cool today."

But! See: Illness making me not want to go home. And I'd been looking for a chest of drawers since I moved over a year ago, so I decided to stop at the used furniture place.

Voila:




Dudes. Duuuuuudes. How awesome is that dresser? Okay, you might not be impressed, but I think it is teh bomb. I love old shit like that, with the carved curlicue stuff that's impossible to dust (see pic) and all the ornate details. I'm trying to figure out if the heart motif on the bottom looks more like the Batman symbol or like Mickey Mouse ears.

You know how much they wanted for it? This full-size, awesome chest of drawers with a built-in jewelry box on top?

A hundred bucks. A hundred bucks.

"Sold!", I said. I even did that thing where you grab the tag off of it before you go to the counter so that nobody else can claim it.

heeheeheehee TWO awesome finds in one day. I may never shop again.

And that was my Saturday.




*wild exaggeration

8 comments:

~~Silk said...

Wow! That's GORGEOUS! It's even still got its wheels. That is an unbelievable price. Somebody must have mismarked it.

~~Silk said...

P.S. I'm jealous!

Unknown said...

Ooo! You got a great deal on that. A long time ago, I had that experience at an auction -- bid on a piece that I thought was spiffy and prayed that no one else cared. Got a chest, two standing cedar wardrobes and a big mirror (pretty much the whole bedroom set minus the bed) for $24. I had $28 in my pocket so I even had enough for a hamburger and fries on the way home.

~~Silk said...

I read this over a few times, and I think I'm missing something. What was the OTHER awesome thing?

Badass Nature Girl said...

I'm with Silk, did I miss the other purchase?! Nice chest of drawers there though!

rockygrace said...

Sorry for the confusion, guys - the OTHER awesome thing will be coming up shortly on Freaky Friday.

And Bridgett, I think you won the furniture-buying sweepstakes, there.

Fish Food said...

NICE! I got (free) once: an old dressing table (not as fancy as yours but lovely all the same), a walnut wardrobe and an oak wardrobe from someone who was selling a flat that they rented out to students.

That walnut wardrobe was something I loved and even polished; yes, polished. I then gave it to someone else when I moved and they ... painted it *sob* in PURPLE paint!

I could have wept when they told me.

You got a fantastic bargain there!!

Becs said...

It's bee-yoo-tee-ful. Such a deal!