Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blog Etiquette

Or would that be, "bletiquette"?

Anyway, I was reading someone's (honestly, I don't remember whose) blog the other day, and she was talking about people who read her blog but never comment.

Oh! And let me say first off, I was FUH-REAKED OUT when I first discovered that you could put a thing on your blog that would tell you who was reading it, and when, and for how long, etc., etc. Because sometimes I will click on a blog, and the phone will ring, and a client will come in, and the computer will go to screensaver, and I'll come back, like, two hours later and still be on that blog. And now I'm all, like, "Oh my God! These people think I'm insane! They think I've been reading their blog for, like, two hours!"

And also, sometimes if I get really really bored, I'll start clicking on random blogs over and over, just to see if anybody's updated in the last, oh, half-hour or so.

So when I found out that PEOPLE KNEW WHEN I WAS READING THEIR BLOG, I was all, "Great. Just great. Now they think I'm an insane stalker who reads their blog for HOURS and checks back nine million times a day."

But! Well! Okay, back to the bletiquette thing. I'm relatively new here, and obv I still don't know all the rules, because I had NO IDEA that if you read someone's blog, commenting was mandatory. I thought you could just read along, la la la, and if a post really spoke to you, or if you had something of value to add, then you could comment, but it was strictly optional.

And while I do comment on some of the blogs I read (hi, guys!), I don't comment on all of them. I don't think I do, anyway. Actually, it never even occurred to me to keep track, until now. And I almost never comment on the really popular blogs, like Dooce, unless they're running a contest or something, because honestly? Comment #853? Who cares?

Oh! And also! Having you ever been reading a blog, and the blogger will post a pic of, oh, I don't know, their butt-ugly nephew or something, and you want SO BAD to comment something along the lines of, "That's the ugliest damn kid I ever saw! What did your sister do, mate with a freakin' MONKEY or something?!" No? That's just me? Okay, then. Moving on ........



Or what about when someone is making a reallllly bad decision (I can claim my fair share of those, believe you me) and all of their bloggy commenters are supporting them, and you just want to comment, "Nooooooooo! Don't listen to them! They're idiots!" But you don't, because you know that all of those other commenters will turn around and shoot you down in hot hot flames. Folks, believe me, if you see me about to commit a grievous error (and like I said, IT HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAPPEN), please let me know.


So! Well! Okay! Running out of steam, and time, here. So I guess here's my bletiquette question for the day: If you read a blog, are you SUPPOSED to comment on it? Or is it optional? And how often are you supposed to comment? Every time you stop by? Or just once in a while?


Oh, and for the record, I do not have one of those site meter thingies here. Frankly, I don't want to know who's coming here, and why, and how many times a day, and for how long, and which search terms they used to get here. Even though this is my personal blog, I somehow oddly feel like it's none of my business if you're stopping by, and so I'd just as soon not know. Ignorance is bliss, and all that.

7 comments:

Danger said...

First!

My favorite answer holds true: Fuck it. Who's going to punish silent readers, the blog police?

rockygrace said...

Whoaaa .... congrats on the "First!", Danger!

If the blog police show up on my doorstep, I'm gonna give them YOUR name.

3carnations said...

You may have read that on my blog.

My take? It is absolutely optional to comment. I am first of all, amused that I have some people who read EVERY SINGLE DAY and never say as much as hi. I wonder why they keep coming back.

The reason I brought it up in the first place, however, was that I had been posting some personal serious issues I was having, and my stats went sky high, but my comments did not. It made me feel as though I suddenly had a bunch of voyeurs. But, such is the nature of blogging.

Comment if you want to, don't if you don't. :)

rockygrace said...

Oh, 3carnations, when I first read your comment I was all, "oh NOES! She's pissed at me!" But then I remembered that I DO comment on your blog, and I was all, "whew!"

Heh.

Oh, but here's a question - Does it skeeve you out when you find out that somebody's been parked on your blog for, say, a couple of hours? Does it worry you if somebody checks back over and over?
Just, erm, curious. :)

3carnations said...

Nope. I don't pay attention to the amount of time someone is there, because I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. Depends on if cookies are allowed, etc.

If someone comes back over00 and over, it doesn't bother me a bit. The only time it would make me a little concerned is if they were from my town or something.

Poetry Echoes said...

I'm grateful when I can find a few minutes to catch up on my blogs, let alone comment on them. I don't expect people to comment every time they come by my sites, but it's nice when they do. Sometimes it's better to just come in quietly and leave quietly. And some posts don't seem to require responses, so what's the point, other than to let you know I stopped by when you were sleeping?

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the insight, guys!